Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 09-01-2015, 03:48 PM

Default Magnetic Growth Rods

My 4 year old daughter is due for surgery in February. She will be having the regular growth rod for her scoliosis. We asked about the magnetic growth rods and the answer was 'we don't do that in Australia'. A quick goggle showed they do this in Melbourne. We are in Brisbane.

Is it worth exploring the option of travelling interstate for the magnetic growth rods? I would rather only put her through surgery every few years rather then every 6 months if possible!

Any advice?

Thanks!
Old 20-01-2015, 10:18 AM

Default Re: Magnetic Growth Rods

Hi there,
Firstly hi and hoping to hear from you soon. I have sent you a PM. They certainly have done magnetic growth rods here. Having put our daughter through 8 surgeries in 4 years I would definitely research your options. There are HUGE out of pocket expenses that I would look into also. Our thoughts were you cant put a price on a spine! But it is draining financially. I found out about magnetic rods around 6 months after growing rods were put in. So we didn't have an option. We had 2 years of infection but long term antibiotics finally sorted this out. We now have a fantastic correction and its all behind us! Our daughter is 22 weeks after fusion. L1-T3. Went jet-skiing last week, doing 2 km ocean swim next month and competing in surf carnivals. We have been blessed with an amazing surgeon. We initially had 3 opinions before deciding on our surgeon. Its such a big commitment so don't feel bad looking at every option that might make it easier for your whole family! Best wishes Tracy