Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 23-08-2013, 09:48 AM

Default 4 days post-op

We're just coming out of the fog that was this week and I can't believe the transformation in my son. Surgery was on Monday and it went really well - from a 67 deg curve to approx 15 deg. The worst night by far was 2 nights post surgery when he was off the button and the other meds were all over the place. All tubes and catheter were removed yesterday which has made him from more comfortable and his pain management is sorted for now. The physio had him take his first steps 2 days post op and he's now walking with a frame and sitting in a chair and can't wait to go home once he has mastered stairs. Now it's time to start catching up on some sleep!
Old 23-08-2013, 03:25 PM

Default Re: 4 days post-op

Great to hear from you! Glad all is going ok, those first few steps on the road to recovery! Tell him your forum friends are thinking of him! Hope the meds are stable now, keep popping those pills!
Old 23-08-2013, 11:48 PM

Awesome news. Such a wonderful reduction! Project into the future ..... 1 year from now he will be swimming, jogging and skiing! All the very best and good to see a message from you too Liz. Hope all is good for Michael.
Jane
Old 24-08-2013, 08:03 AM

that's fantastic! once he has adjusted to home, you will notice it does get better everyday. we had a bit of trouble with the transition to oral meds, but once that settled, it was all good. best wishes to you all
Old 24-08-2013, 08:04 PM

That's great news MAB. Another one safely over the scoliosis hurdle. Keep the pain relief up and on time. The more comfortable he is, the quicker the recovery. Best wishes RB
Old 30-09-2013, 09:24 PM

That's amazing! After you get home and start walking more each day just gets better and better! After a month things feel more normal and it gets a lot easier, keep supporting him because he'll need it! Good luck with the recovery x
Old 02-10-2013, 07:56 AM

These are the best posts! So very happy to hear all went well and you all can focus on a good recovery.

cx
Old 03-10-2013, 10:21 PM

Thanks for all your messages. This forum really has been wonderful for keeping me strong, positive and sane.
Recovery is still going well. He's off the meds now and will be back at school part-time next week. I'm not sure how the train journey to school will go though ... although maybe that's just me being over-protective. I think the danger now is that he looks so fit and healthy that people easily forget what he has been through and that he is in fact still recovering and has limits to what he can and can't do.
Thanks again all of you, for your words of wisdom and support
Old 03-10-2013, 10:45 PM

Good luck for school. Tell him to take it easy, just cruise till the end of the year then next year he will be back at full strength!
Looking back sometimes it seems a bit of a haze doesn't it? Great to finally get them out of the house again and doing normal things. Xx Liz