Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adults > Non-surgical management

Old 30-05-2012, 05:36 PM

Default Laying on flat hard surface for scans

I have a MRI and CT scan coming up. My spine is deformed witha huge curve, which makes laying on flat hard surfaces impossible. How have other forum members managed laying down for scan's with a deformed spine. I know they normally have a pillow there to help with comfort but my spine has a curve that is almost a right angle it will take more than a pillow for me to lay on a hard flat table!!

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping the staff will be more than able to deal with my back, but really that's not a given. I was thinking it may be best if I ring up and inquire about it before the scan.

Also if I am laying down and putting a large amount of force onto my back would this impact the scan?
Old 30-05-2012, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Laying on flat hard surface for scans

I can understand your concerns. I have one of those pointy shoulder blades sticking out over my hump and I can't ever get comfortable lying down, even on the softest of soft beds.

The radiologist was great when I had my MRI, he helped me settle with lots of pillows and the surface of the bed was quite comfortable, not hard like I expected. My problem was mostly my numbness, which I get when I lay down anywhere and the pressure starts hitting my hump and goes all the way down my right leg. So it was not the most comfy time, but it did go better than I expected as I had some nice jazz to listen to

And, he did tell me to press the stop buzzer if it became intolerable. Which I nearly did, but then it finally was over after about fifty long minutes! I think you can do it in bits and pieces if the discomfort becomes unbearable but best to check with them.

Is taking a relaxant an option? I thought of it half way through and wished I did!

But you may be surprised how much you can bear. It is like being told to sit still by the teacher. Somehow we just do it for fear of getting into trouble!
Old 02-07-2012, 08:00 PM

Default Re: Laying on flat hard surface for scans

Scans went ok, CT was quick and pain free. MRI took 45mins and was quite painful. I now have a migraine from the strain put on my neck. I am sure it could have gone worse.