Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 14-09-2010, 08:48 PM

Question After Surgery Question

I'm just wondering about anyone else who's had surgery get itchy from having surgery? I seem to be getting itchy under my arm quite a lot. I had my surgery quite a few months ago but this itchiness only started after having surgery.
Old 15-09-2010, 05:46 PM

Default Re: After Surgery Question

Hi Scarlet, no I didn't have that problem. It may be unrelated to your surgery. Is it your armpit or arm that's affected? Both arms? Is there any rash? I think you might need to speak to your GP and ask if it might have been brought on by antibiotics given during surgery or whether it's something else. Did it start just after surgery, or weeks later? Have you tried an anti-itch powder or cream? It's an odd one!
Old 15-09-2010, 10:41 PM

Hi Scarlet, i didn't have the itchiness you descibe, but i have heard of people developing itchy dry skin and dry scalps due to anaesthesia and medications. Maybe make an appointment with your GP and have him/her check it out for you. Hopefully this passes with time. I have heard that it can take several months for your body to be rid of any meds that were required for surgery. Hope this helps. Best wishes,
Old 16-09-2010, 11:51 AM

It's more the armpit but no rash just the part of my armpit that is itchy whenever it occurs. Yea haven't tried anti-itch cream and it started umm about a few months after the surgery. I'm not sure if it's related but part of my right arm felt weird after surgery and for a few months like I couldn't feel as accurately or something if that makes sense. Haven't seen GP but will do so
Lauren
Old 17-09-2010, 08:47 AM

Scarlet, I have the same thing. I have no rash but my legs - specifically, my thighs, are often very itchy. In my case, I thought it was because of the meds since I'm only 7 weeks post-op.
Old 17-09-2010, 09:19 AM

Hi girls. after just reading both of your posts. I am wondering whether it could be the nerves 'waking up' (an uneducated in medicine guess!), although, it does makes sense that it could have been the meds, as this can happen. Keep us posted if you find out what it is, in the meantime, keep on recovering!
Old 17-09-2010, 06:11 PM

Thumbs up Re: After Surgery Question

Yea could be...Some parts of my back are still numb though. I had my surgery last year so my nerves sure took a while. On a unrelated topic I have exercises I should do but I forget but now I don't get too much pain. Also I still aren't sure if I can go ice skating or bowling because of my back but my doctor (who did the surgery) told me I should be able to do anything I did before surgery. Well not everything. One thing I miss is being really flexible in my back since now I'm not anymore. But at least I feel better about myself.

From Lauren