Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adults > Pregnancy and scoliosis

Old 24-11-2009, 06:50 PM

Default Concerned Nantobe

Hi,
Is there anyone out there that has gone through a pregnancy?
If you have, did you carry full term? did tou get Braxton Hicks early?
Did you have bad back aches?
Anything would be helpful.
Old 25-11-2009, 08:43 AM

Pregnancy wasn't an issue for my scoliosis. Everything went entirely normally. I had two daughters, neither of whom has scoliosis. I now have three grandaughters whose backs I'm watching carefully.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Concerned Nantobe

I was wondering this as well - how is pregnancy post-surgery?

Lower back is going to be under stress to curve out right? Mine is already under stress as it is unfused and doing all the work. Really hoping for no medical intervention when I have kids.
Old 17-01-2010, 01:26 AM

Hi all,
Didn't know where to post this. We became Grandparents to alittle girl. Charli Ava was born on Tuesday, January 12, 2010 at 10.28am. I was in the delivery room for the whole labour and delivery, which took 1hr and 28mins. Our son and his partner, requested that both Nans be there for the birth. After she was born, i followed the Ob/Gyn to watch him check her and guess what this wide eyed eagle was looking at - you got it- her spine. All looks good, but i will keep an eye on her. Our sons partner has scoliosis, but she and her doctor keep a yearly check on it.
Old 17-01-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodverta Braefusion View Post
Hi all,
Didn't know where to post this. We became Grandparents to alittle girl. Charli Ava was born on Tuesday, January 12, 2010 at 10.28am. I was in the delivery room for the whole labour and delivery, which took 1hr and 28mins. Our son and his partner, requested that both Nans be there for the birth. After she was born, i followed the Ob/Gyn to watch him check her and guess what this wide eyed eagle was looking at - you got it- her spine. All looks good, but i will keep an eye on her. Our sons partner has scoliosis, but she and her doctor keep a yearly check on it.
Congratulations Nanna, a little ray of sunshine! Your life will never be the same...they really get into your heart.

I saw my first grandaughter born and when I held her, she seemed to be staring right back at me. I fell in love. I now have three grandaughters and often check their backs when they're in their cossies, etc. They're used to Nanna asking them to bend over!
Old 17-01-2010, 03:17 PM

Smile Re: Concerned Nantobe

Thanks Jen. You got that right about the life changing. I've devoted all week to the little bubba. Her first photo even has centre stage on my fridge! We look forward to a year of many firsts.
Old 21-03-2010, 06:54 PM

I had 4 healthy children, long labours though , 2 forceps deleivery,one normal and one was a c section

see a good obstetrician
good luck
chris
Old 24-04-2010, 07:31 PM

Hi everyone, good to see some old faces on our Scoliosis forum. I have had two children and did not have any problems caused by having harrington rods in my back or the scoliosis I still have a bit of. In fact my doctor said it helped with my labour, I was so lucky. We are all different though and as has been suggested make sure you get yourself a good gynecologist. I too am a grandmother now and have two grand-daughters they are just beautiful. Macky
Old 15-07-2010, 10:20 AM

Not sure if the information is still needed but thought I'd post anyway for anyone else interested in answers to the same question.

I've had Harrington Rod fusion surgery at 14. After that time I went through 2 pregnancies which were uneventful aside from the Epidural.

Anyone who has Scoliosis should inform their doctor especially prior to an Epidural so that they are aware of the curvature and be prepared to find the right location for inserting the needle. Less attempts equals less painful.

Otherwise my Scoliosis didn't affect my pregnancies at all.
Old 16-07-2010, 07:31 PM

I think that's a sign that your Harrington Rod surgery was a great success - that you forget they're there and forget you have scoliosis. That's brilliant!