Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adults > Pregnancy and scoliosis

Old 12-04-2011, 12:05 PM

Default Pregnant 3 years post spinal fusion T4-T12

When I was planning on getting pregnant I couldn't find any information on other with similar spine surgeries to mine giving their accounts so here's my story:

-I went from 56deg (thoracic) to about 30 (same as at first diagnosis at 12yo)
-Posterior fusion T4-T12 in Nov 2005
-normal recovery with lumbar mostly correcting itself within a few months
-iron deficiency later diagnosed possibly related
-no complications, minimal physiotherapy as upkeep

I am now 38weeks pregnant and have only just started to have lower back and pelvic discomforts which as far as I can tell are all normal and unrelated to my scoliosis.

The only impact my surgery has had is limiting my movements more drastically/earlier than in a normal pregnancy with regards to bending forward (baby doesn't let the lumbar back move much!).

I did speak to an anaesthesiologist who informed me that:
-epidurals can be patchy
-epidurals have a higher chance of being patchy in people with some scar tissue near the injection site (this is unpredictable and can be spread far or not at all from your surgery site and even occurs in 'normal' people with no history of surgeries)
-for an emergency C-section a spinal block is done higher up and is more potent (if possible this is what I will aim for)
-you may have to bend forward to allow the needle to be put in accurately and this is where your flexibility comes in

I will check back later if there is anything interesting to add after birth.

Good luck to anyone going through anything similar - don't let horror stories of any kind ruin your experience.
(From my research, American doctors seem reluctant to let women attempt natural labours with any level of fusion present!)

Please feel free to add your individual comments/questions or write your own story.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Pregnant 3 years post fusion T4-T12

Congratulations and best wishes for the arrival of your baby! I have read about post-fusion pregnancies and birth stories on the American Scoliosis board. Apart from the epidural issue, everything else goes normally, which is fantastic. We'd love to have your post-birth story here for those thinking about pregnancy post-fusion in the future!
Old 05-05-2011, 12:08 AM

Congratulations, hope you have a safe delivery. Best wishes and let us know how it all goes.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:41 AM

Update:

Had my baby boy on 23 April - 4.1 kg, 52cm. He's very healthy and doing well.
I had a 'back labour' - he was turned posterior (then turned for normal delivery at the last minute) so it was quite painful but a normal delivery.

My last month of pregnancy or so was quite annoying with the amount of pelvic pain and lower back pain but I attribute it to the size of the baby etc. Nearly two weeks on now and still have some lower back ache but I hear that's normal while the joints and ligaments recover. Having some problems in the neck area due to breastfeeding so will be buying an insanely expensive pillow
- again he's a heavy baby to have to hold all the time with one arm!

Pain relief - can't really help with any info on that as I used 2 panadol tablets only.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:28 PM

Smile Re: Pregnant 3 years post fusion T4-T12

Hearty Congratulations Godiva,

One more day,and I would have shared the same birth date with him!
Hope you have a smooth post natal recovery and that bubs is good for you.
You are still early days yet, give it another 4-5 weeks and you should see some improvement!

Best wishes to you and your family and enjoy the many special moments that the joy of a new baby can bring.

RB
Old 06-12-2011, 01:54 PM

Might be too late to be useful but I'll say it anyway. Laying down on your side while your baby breast feeds is the best! No need to hold your big bubba up to your body, just make sure someone can wake you up when you nod off