Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 16-11-2014, 09:52 PM

Default Pre-Op Nerves - Surgery Pain

Hi,

I am very nervous for this surgery and I want to know what the pain is like. I heard it is completely unbearable and I am freaking out. Can you please give me a rundown on what I can expect to feel immediately waking up!

I also received the option of remaining asleep a few days after the op to allow my body to recover. Is this a good option? What do you think?

I am getting T4-L1 fused.

Please help me!

Jade
Old 17-11-2014, 09:54 AM

Default Re: Pre-Op Nerves - Surgery Pain

Hi Jade,
the build up to surgery is a very anxious time. Try not to worry too much about the pain. My daughter who is 16 had surgery on Nov 5th this year so she is only almost 2 weeks post op now. The pain was very well managed following the surgery and she really did not find it too big an issue. She did complain of a sore back on waking up in recovery, but it wasn't too bad and apart from that, she has only said that her back feels stiff and tight. She has a big dressing which is also causing some of the feeling of tightness. She is still on pain medications which will be slowly weaned over the next week or two, but she has been comfortable.
We are now home, she is tired but feeling pretty good generally and is walking each day. It is early days, but I can see progress each day and she is really happy that she had the surgery.
All the very best to you with your surgery and your recovery.
Old 17-11-2014, 01:08 PM

Hi Jade - sounds like you are whipping yourself into a pre-op frenzy! It really is not that bad and as Jan says, the pain is well managed but you do feel stiff and tight which can be expected. I am fused T2 to L2 so it was a big one and I am fine. Not sure about staying asleep for a few days post op? Getting up and shuffling about on day 3 was quite liberating. You will be fine. The time goes by so fast and soon you will be back up and at it, wondering what all the fear was about. You have youth on your side and your body will heal beautifully. All the best for the big day - enjoy the ride!! Heather
Old 17-11-2014, 05:09 PM

Hi Jade. I think I replied last time, but just in case... My daughter is also fused T4-L1. She said the pain was fine. Not a total walk in the park, but totally manageable. And she was only just 13 when she had the surgery.
As for the first few days, I would encourage you to get up and moving as much as possible as soon as they allow. For my daughter, they had her out of bed the morning after surgery, so less than 24 hours later. Once she was home on day five, we walked 10 minutes each day and built up from there.
If a 13-year-old can manage it, you'll be absolutely fine!
Very best of luck to you.
Old 17-11-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Hi Jade. I think I replied last time, but just in case... My daughter is also fused T4-L1. She said the pain was fine. Not a total walk in the park, but totally manageable. And she was only just 13 when she had the surgery.
As for the first few days, I would encourage you to get up and moving as much as possible as soon as they allow. For my daughter, they had her out of bed the morning after surgery, so less than 24 hours later. Once she was home on day five, we walked 10 minutes each day and built up from there.
If a 13-year-old can manage it, you'll be absolutely fine!
Very best of luck to you.
Hi Shan,

Yeah you did reply and it helped tremendously but I have asked these questions on my previous thread but nobody has gotten back to me! I guess everyone is just busy!

Your daughter's recovery is very inspiring however, I would assume that success was due to her being a national level swimmer. I cannot do anything active as I struggle to breath; a scoliosis side effect...

Jade
Old 18-11-2014, 01:33 AM

Thank you everybody for your wonderful replies. My question was written when I was experiencing a great deal of cold feet. I have had emotional ups and downs. Today, I am totally psyched to get this over and done with, which was helped by your inspiring comments. Thank you for all replying and you certainly did make me feel better.

I do want to address the option of being sedated for a couple of days a bit more. If you got the option, would you pick it? Do you think being knocked out couple days... or even one... would help in recovery? I am aware it would definitely delay recovery but I assumed pain would be better... Let me know and any new faces I haven't spoken to are welcome to comment!
Old 24-11-2014, 10:31 AM

Hi Jade, Your pain will be managed really well! Try not to worry too much! The nurses and physio are amazing. The epidurals or PC pump blocks the pain. Your surgeon/anaesthesist will decide what's best for you. When these come out they are replaced with oral pain killers. You will be very well looked after! I've sent you PM. Cheers Tracy.