Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 14-02-2014, 11:45 PM

Default Surgery set

My daughter went back to her surgeon today. Her curve has gone from 59 to 81 degree which was very confronting. We are booked in for surgery at the end of March. Is there any advice for us. Something that you wished someone had of told you before you went to hospital.
Old 16-02-2014, 08:58 AM

Default Re: Surgery set

Having been through surgery twice with my daughter, the 2nd time was so much easier because we knew what to expect. So things we did differently for the 2nd surgery were:
*take some of your daughters favourite snacks and drinks, our snack pack included raw almonds, dried fruit (apricot and prunes as the drugs played havoc with her insides), gingernuts, and yummy fruit juices/iced tea drinks.
*sanitary pads, in most cases surgery often brings on a period (whether it is due or not) and it's nice to be prepared and not have to use the diaper sized pads that the hospital supplies.
*pamper day ... we spent the day before surgery doing all sorts of cool girly things and it really helped to keep her calm and gave her something to look forward to as the surgery day got closer.
*not everyone is the same ... don't expect her recovery to be the same as anyone elses. After the first surgery I tried to push Miss 13 to get up and try and walk etc because 'normally' they are up by day 3 ... allow her to recover in her own time and celebrate every achievement thereafter.
*and last but not least ... take care of yourself and remember if shes stressed and screaming at you in the next few weeks, its not personal, its only that she's scared and has no-one else to take it out on.
Old 18-02-2014, 08:10 PM

Thank you for the information. This forum has been great in giving us some answers to the burning question we have. My daughter has a disability and has low tone so I am assuming it may take her longer to get back on her feet. I have read a lot of posts about girl getting their periods. Does this happen even if they have not yet started their period? My daughter is only 11 years old.
Old 18-02-2014, 09:26 PM

My daughter did not have her period at the time of surgery and the surgery did not bring it on so it's certainly not a given.
All the advice here is great and not sure I have anything more that hasn't been said. We're now more than eight months down the road from surgery and there is no way you would know my daughter had been through anything. Even the scar is barely noticeable.
Wishing you and your daughter all the very best for a successful outcome and speedy recovery.
Old 29-03-2014, 11:42 PM

We are now through the surgery and are into day three post op. My daughter has needed a blood transfusion and has been vomiting for the whole day today. Is this common? The nurses tell me that every patient is different and they all respond differently. We are blessed that the epidurals in her back have been successful and she has little to no pain while lying still. Due to her reactions to everything the physio has not pushed her for much, however, my daughter is terrified about standing and walking. It consumes her every waking hour and now mine. It is hard to believe that they can go from laying there not moving much to walking. Can anyone tell me about the pain in the first few days of standing and walking? I hate to see my daughter so distressed!!!!!
Old 30-03-2014, 10:21 AM

It is wonderful to hear all went well. Vomiting is normal for some. I spent two days vomiting until the meds settled (I was allergic to some).

On the second day I got up and stood on my feet and yes, it is scary, but not as scary as I'd expected. The whole body balance thing is different to pre-surgery, and your daughter will probably feel that too. But it is very exciting to be upright, even for a few seconds! The nurses and physio will be by her side all the way when she is shown how to roll out out to sit on the edge of the bed.

I found the way I breathed was helpful in reducing the pain when getting out of bed i.e. breathe in prior to moving, then breathe out when you are actually going for the next move. Like you do in sports Your daughter will be pleased to be on her feet as it it doesn't take long to be able to be up more and more. And she will feel her strength coming back too, the more she is up. It was immensely pleasurable (despite the pain) to move as I was soooo sick of being on my back!

She had done very well thus far as the surgery is THE biggest hurdle! You must be so very pleased and happy for her. Tell her to take her time, go gently and slowly, it is hard work from here, but not for long and it will change very quickly. Before she knows it she will be bouncing around again!

All the best xxx
Old 30-03-2014, 09:31 PM

Thank you for your words of advice. My daughter continues to vomit (2 days so far) and has developed a large blister like sore on her back. She is feeling very miserable at the moment so it is always good to hear that there IS a light at the end of the tunnel. My daughter has a disability so it is a little hard to convince her that things will get better, for her it hurts to stand. I think she believes that it will always hurt.
I know that it is best to take each day (probably each hour) as it comes. I also know it will get better because I have read all the wonderful posts on this forum, only it's hard to believe at times.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:10 AM

Leebri I'm grad you daughter made it to the other side from her surgery. I also vomited a few times after my surgery. Once in the hospital and on the way back to the hospital
Old 01-04-2014, 08:02 PM

Thanks Kara. My daughter has been vomiting every time she has anything orally, this has been going on for four day now. She is very weak and is struggling to get up. She doesn't want to do anything and I know this is not good. It is so hard to see her like this and I feel so mean making her get up or even to roll over. She needs to keep off her back because she has developed pressure sore. Did anyone else have an experience like this? I am really struggling to see the light at the end of the tunnel. We are now 7 days post op.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:35 PM

Hi Leebri, sorry to hear your daughter had such a terrible time of it after surgery. Are you home now?
My 13 year old daughter is booked in for surgery April 30th, so not long to go now. It would be great to hear any advice from you, especially regarding your daughter's recovery at home.