Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 29-01-2013, 07:24 PM

Default Re: 12 year old having surgery in Jan

Just an update for all concerned.
Unfortunately Victorias operation was cancelled 5min before going into Theatre. It has been an extremely stressful time for us all as we were all prepared and ready. I was with Victoria at the theatre doors ready to go in, needle in her hand ready for anesthetic, Head Director walks in from ICU and looked at me and said I am sorry we cannot let the operation proceed, as Vic was considered to be in the grey area due to her weight factor, all of which should have been discussed prior you would have thought, considering we were all told it can be done at this Particular Hospital. ICU Did not have the ventilating equipment required for her after care if it was required. Unfortunately the Doctor concerned did not talk to the right people and let them know what may be required, a total lack of communication. This happened to us the first time in November in Sydney 2012, exactly the same issue can you believe, so we went to Melbourne where we were told everything would be ok. It has been the most distressing time, especially for poor little Vic, who now has to put faith into another Doctor. There is a lot more to this, but will keep it short. How could this happen twice ?
We have now been told a public children's hospital is the best place to have the scoliosis operation as they have all the necessary ventilators etc for paediatric patients, would have been nice to know this at the beginning. Vics weight factor is the main underlying issue here, and in one respect I was thankful that the Director of ICU stopped it, because they know best, the Doctor on the other hand was more than happy to proceed. Begs the question, who do you trust.
Anyhow Vic now has an appointment with a different scoliosis surgeon , we now have to somehow find faith in our hearts. Will keep you informed. Brett
Old 31-01-2013, 07:44 PM

Hi Brett,
I'm so sorry that this has happened, especially as it's the second time. It must be very difficult for your whole family. I hope that it all works out for you.
Veronica
Old 01-02-2013, 04:51 PM

Thanks Veronica, we have an appointed in February to see another Surgeon. Fingers crossed. Brett
Old 19-02-2013, 07:32 PM

Latest update for Victorias progress, have seen another Scoliosis Surgeon in Sydney and has told us we have no other option now other than to fuse her entire spine from top to bottom. Not exactly what we wanted it hear but her curve has changed from 72 degrees in August 2012 to now which is 84 degrees, we now have to make that life changing decision for our Daughter who has not had the best of luck with Doctors. We can only pray that this dr knows what he is doing.
Old 21-02-2013, 08:41 AM

Hi Brett, wow 12degrees in 6 months. I have my fingers & toes crossed that this dr is able to follow through for you & your family, especially Victoria. The messing around is enough to put her off drs for the rest of her life! Has he indicated a time frame for you?

My daughter has her 6 monthly X-rays at the end of April, should be a good indication whether the Boston brace is working or not. I know you didn't have great results when Victoria had hers. We are resigned that an underlying medical condition will eventually put us down the path of surgery.

That's life I guess, not much we can do about it except stay positive, good luck,
Veronica
Old 23-02-2013, 08:45 PM

Hi Veronica, we have a date for early May. My advice for you and your Daughter is to make sure you have the Brace on firmly, otherwise it is a total waste of time, as we found out.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, you at least have time on your hands.
The child's growth spurt can cause a dramatic change in a short period of time, as we have found with Victoria. 12 degrees in only 6 months.
I hope and pray that the Boston brace saves your daughter from surgery. Stay positive Veronica, it is not easy, but we all must remain strong to help them through this battle.
Thoughts and prayers for you and your Family. Brett
Old 30-04-2013, 09:48 PM

Victorias last day before the full Spinal Fusion on Thursday. 3rd time round, lets hope and pray that the Procedure goes ahead this time, things are starting to get tense again. Have even rang ICU myself to make sure that they have the right equipment for her aftercare. They have reassured us, so fingers crossed. Brett
Old 30-04-2013, 11:27 PM

Brett, best wishes to your daughter for her surgery on Thursday. Make sure you and your family look after yourselves, as well as Victoria. Will keep checking in for progress reports.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:51 AM

Hi Brett and Victoria

Best wishes for tomorrow
Good on you Brett for checking with ICU. It can only benefit your daughter if you are assertive. Keep up the good work for her recovery. You sound like a wonderful Dad

Carol
Old 01-05-2013, 06:35 AM

Thinking of you
Rosie