Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 20-11-2009, 12:54 PM

Thanks for the info. I did receive a " Parent Info " booklet today in the mail stating what will happen after surgery but nothing yet about at home care - so i'll be on the lookout for that. Not long to go now - just have to give Alex the news about no mobile phones in the room - mmm 13yr olds would love that news ! Now all we have to do is find some night wear for hospital. Can't figure out if she'll need a nightie or shorts and top or just a pair of undies ? Can you give some adivce on this?
thanks
Jo
Old 20-11-2009, 06:14 PM

Hi Jo,
Well I went shopping last night for Gabby for clothes for hosp.
I tried to convince her to buy loose clothes but she wouldnt and we ended up buying singlets etc. Just normal pjs. Long pants and tops.
I figured if we havent the right things I am sure Big W or KMart will only be a train ride away.
Can I Pm you about the surgery details. Just wondering if we all have the same surgeon.
Regards

Donna.
Old 20-11-2009, 06:57 PM

Smile

Hello Ladies,

The singlet top is a great idea, because for a couple days you will be attached to possibly a drip for fluids. I also had an IV in my other arm for antibiotics,
a drain in my spine and a catheter until you can toilet on your own. My suggestion would be a long t/shirt type nightie until at least the catheter is removed, then you can wear pants/shorts as well.

I was allowed mobile phone in hospital. whats their reason for not ?

Tip for when coming home for the mums. Grab a slippery satin pillowcase or similar. This is so when they get in the car, they can sit, then turn without too much effort or hurting themselves.

If you require any questions or queries, please do not hesitate to ask?
Glad to help.
Old 21-11-2009, 11:04 AM

Smile Laurens op 2 weeks today!

Hello All,
We bought Lauren's nighties from Best and Less, which are like long tshirts as you suggested. The dresses we got for when she comes home (usually a tshirt & shorts kinda girl) just go over the head - no zips up the back etc.
The satin pillow case or the like sounded a good idea. I wondered about the trip home in the car and how awkward it will be.
Is it just the drip for the first few days, or are you able to eat?
Lauren is a very slim girl, not weighing a great deal, so I guess she will probably loose some weight in hospital which would be a shame. I've been trying to encourage eating up big to fatten her up before the surgery, but she just isn't a big eater.
Thanks for all the tips you are giving us 'Rodverta'.

Regards,
Judy
Old 21-11-2009, 05:19 PM

Smile

Hi Judy,

Thankyou for your appreciation.

With regards to the shorts, she may be able to wear them after a couple of weeks, but get the kind that has ties not elastic. I found that when i put on my elasticised trackpants (it was June - Winter), I sort of walked a little hunched over but not with the other kind, because i could wear them fairly loose.

Oh, i nearly forgot, she may also have tubes in her nose for oxygen delivery because of the strong pain medications.

In regards to the eating, she will be allowed to eat, as soon as they hear 'bowel sounds' (passing wind, stomach grumbles), could be as early as day 3. I started with stewed fruit, fruit juices and yoghurt to keep it light.
You don't eat alot. The pain meds sometimes make you nauseas (sp?).
When she gets home, she may still not be eating alot, so try some smoothies (if she likes them) with whey protein, strawberries, milk or icecream.

On the way home - easy does it. There ae some things you juwt can't avoid (potholes). Hope you are not too far from the hospital. Mine was a fifteen minute ride home, I just cushioned myself with cushions.

If i can help any more please let me know.
Old 25-11-2009, 02:11 PM

Default jess's mum

Hi All,

I have just become aware of this site and my 15 year old daughter had surgery in Sydney on OCT 20 this year. She was in hospital for 11 days and had her ups and downs and since we have been home she has slowly been moving more and each little thing that she can do on her own now is a big thing. They do go through a lot of pain expecially once they come off the morphine drip and they go on tablets. We had the best care in the hospital and the best Dr. The time at home afterwards is hard for them until they start to become more mobile and go out after the 6 week period. Good luck to the girls about to have surgery, it is worth it
Old 25-11-2009, 02:53 PM

Smile Re: Hi Everyone

Hi jess'mum

Welcome to the forum. Hope everything is progressing well.
what were her curves?
It does get better (healing) but it does take time.
Pass on my best wishes of a speedy recovery.
Old 26-11-2009, 10:00 AM

Default Re: Hi Everyone

Hi Jess's mum .
Thankyou so much Rodverta - we're lucky to have you on this forum
I just bought Alex a nightie with adjustable straps so that she wouldn't have to put her arms over her head to get it on - we did a mock test in the shop and i found that those loose jersey nighties were really easy to slip on an off. Thanks for the tip re - satin pillow. I've got an hours drive home to the Gold Coast so any tip for the drive home is welcome. Alex like Lauren is very slim as well and i'm not looking forward to her loosing anymore weight.Eating sometimes seems a task for her ( as i think most 13yr olds ! ) --- nothing ever tastes good ! So I'm hoping to try to convince her to " fatten up " prior to the op as well - wish me luck .
Not long to go now - getting a bit nervous but i know it will be fine in the long run.
Donna you're most welcome to email me .
regards
Jo
Old 26-11-2009, 08:56 PM

Default Re: Hi Everyone

Hi All,
It is good to see more people discovering the site.
Hope Jess is progressing well. Hope you don't mind... wondered if I could ask a few questions. Lauren (16yr old daughter) is having her surgery on 5th Dec. I feel we are going into it still not knowing quite enough. How soon did they get Jess up walking? 11 Days was quite a long stay in hospital, did she have complications? I have wondered about the adjustment to when they are taken off the intravenous medication. We have been told she will have an epidural in for 3 days so thought it might be quite difficult when they comes out.
Jo - I can understand you getting nervous. I sent you a PM a while back.
How is Alexandra feeling? Has she had any contact with other girls...it might help her. I know Lauren likes talking to Gabby as they feel the same way about the surgery.
I contacted our hospital yesterday and they were surprised that our doctor hadn't given us a handout about what to expect after spinal surgery. I do wish we were a bit more informed. I am wondering if Xmas day will have to be spent around Lauren in bed, not that that is a problem if needs be.
Bye for now,
Judy
Old 28-11-2009, 12:24 PM

Default Re: Questions

Hi to all mums,

Walking is initiated the next morning, starting with a few steps increasing to walking the halls in the hospital. The aim then is to achieve at least 30 minutes everyday, within 4-6 weeks after surgery. It does not have to be all at once, can be broken up. If you are able to walk for an hour per day, you can. Use commonsense, if pain is aggravated then spend more time resting.

They can lie on their side or their back, whatever is comfortable. In fact the nursing staff came in to change my position every two hours.

Exercies done, were Deep breathing & coughing, ankle exercises, hip and knee flexion, abdominal bracing. You get shown how to tighten your abdominal muscles, to help you move in and out of bed, how to transfer from a side lying position to a sitting position, how to perch sit, so that your knees are below your hips.

If i think of any more, i'll post later, have to run an errand. Be back soon.
Post any questions and i'll see if i can help you further. By the way, the above was taken from the handout i was given by my surgeon. You should always check with your surgeon, nurse or physio, what is required for your care. Just thought this may be a little help.