Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Research > The genetics of scoliosis

Old 16-12-2009, 03:37 PM

Default hereditary

I'm allan, 49,
I was 9 yreas old in the 60's when I found out I had scoliosis, due to technology and finances nothing could be done for me, now classed as in opperable.

I had many an arguement with doctors over the years and in Particular with a (edited by Admin to remove name of doctor and hospital), he claimed there is no pain with scoliosis and is not hereditary, how wrong he was.
I read all the threads and my heart goes out to all of you and what your going through, I proved that there is pain, I also proved it can be carried through the genetics from one generation to the next.

My Grand father had it, my father has it, I have it at 75 deg. curve in the thorasic spine (apparently mine is the worst in my family), 2 of my sisters have it and now my youngest son has it, he is 17.

What I think I'm trying to say is Doctors don't have all the answers but, ask all the questions you can, ask them to explain everything and most of all tell them exactly what you are feeling even if they say you don't have eg. pain from scoliosis.
To compound me I had schurmans disease (forgive my spelling) it is the wearing down of the membrane between the veratbra, now of which in me has become arthritis just to add more pain to the mix. sorry to rave on

Last edited by Admin; 17-12-2009 at 03:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 16-12-2009, 05:04 PM

Default Re: hereditary

I've sent you a PM Allan. Welcome to the forum!
Old 16-12-2009, 05:23 PM

Wink Re: hereditary

Hi Allan,
Welcome to the forum. Sad to read your story. Have all avenues been exhausted? I feel that if you are in good health (aside from scoli) that maybe something could be done to help you out. Hope at least they are treating you for the pain aspect.

By the way, forums are intended for the, giving and sharing of experiences, knowledge, support and most of all to vent frustrations - so no need to apologise about raving on.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:59 PM

Default Re: hereditary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan1960 View Post
I'm allan, 49,
I was 9 yreas old in the 60's when I found out I had scoliosis, due to technology and finances nothing could be done for me, now classed as in opperable.

I had many an arguement with doctors over the years and in Particular with a (edited by Admin to remove name of doctor and hospital), he claimed there is no pain with scoliosis and is not hereditary, how wrong he was.
I read all the threads and my heart goes out to all of you and what your going through, I proved that there is pain, I also proved it can be carried through the genetics from one generation to the next.

My Grand father had it, my father has it, I have it at 75 deg. curve in the thorasic spine (apparently mine is the worst in my family), 2 of my sisters have it and now my youngest son has it, he is 17.

What I think I'm trying to say is Doctors don't have all the answers but, ask all the questions you can, ask them to explain everything and most of all tell them exactly what you are feeling even if they say you don't have eg. pain from scoliosis.
To compound me I had schurmans disease (forgive my spelling) it is the wearing down of the membrane between the veratbra, now of which in me has become arthritis just to add more pain to the mix. sorry to rave on
Allan

Some comments on your post of December 2009. With due respect I think you may have misunderstood what the doctor said to you all those years ago.

It is true that most youngsters with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis (AIS) do not have 'back pain' at that time, but many do have some 'back ache'. There is an important difference between an 'ache' and a 'pain'. An ache is an uncomfortable sensation which does intrude into the conscious realm but those with this symptom usually continue to go about whatever they are doing regardless. On the other hand, pain is a symptom which will usually result in the person doing something to relieve it such as taking a pain killer (analgesic), resting or even seeking medical advice. The difference is in degree rather than in kind.

Painful scoliosis is certainly a 'red flag', an alert to the doctor that there may be something quite seriously wrong in the spine. In this context it is to be remembered that scoliosis is just an outward sign and not a diagnosis in itself. As printed out on this website there are many conditions in which scoliosis can occur. The diagnosis of the commonest cause, AIS, is a clinical one and there are no laboratory tests (markers) for the condition. In short, it is a diagnosis of exclusion. Frequently there is a positive family history which is helpful in diagnosis (see Genetic Basic of Scoliosis on our website).

You mention that you have Scheuermann’s Disease (SD) and I think that is the main problem for you. SD when it affects the thoracic region usually results in a curvature called kyphosis (round shoulderedness) not scoliosis. In SD the spine curves forwards and in one plane only whereas in scoliosis the spine rotates as well as bending sideways. There is usually a strong family history in SD with the condition being passed down on the male side in contrast to AIS which is overwhelmingly passed down on the maternal side.

SD is often painless but it can be quite painful, particularly when secondary 'wear and tear' changes appear. I think it would be very purposeful for you to take whatever family spinal x-rays you can assemble to a radiologist for review. It is likely that the problem in your family, and yourself, is SD - not scoliosis.

We trust this information is helpful.

Dr Scoliosis
Old 28-01-2010, 03:29 PM

Unhappy Re: hereditary

Dr Scoliosis,
I mean you no disrespect in any way, but at my age now of 49, I do know what Scoliosis is and have the Rotation and 75 Deg. Curve to the Right, it irritated me to the point where I hate seeing the reflection of my side on any reflective surface.

What you say is True in many ways, but in not my case, my youngest Son's Spine is just starting to rotate, he is 17.5 years in age.
All X-rays bar one were destroyed by my sister, only set remains and is Archived in a Major Hospital