Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 04-01-2014, 12:36 PM

Default 10 weeks post op :)

Hi Everyone,
It has been a little while since my last post, but things have been pretty hectic since surgery.
I just wanted to give an update for those of you who have been following our case.
It has been 10 weeks since my 16 yo daughter had her spinal fusion and I cannot believe what she has achieved in this period of time.
She was able to complete and hand in on time her 6 yr 12 assessments that needed to be done by the end of term, despite the fact that I was majorly stressed thinking she couldn't do it (when she was ready she just buckled down and done it).
At 4 weeks post op she attended my nieces wedding and even wore heels to the ceremony and changed to flats for the reception. No one in my family could believe how well she was doing.
At 4 1/2 weeks we attended the hospital for a post op checkup and the surgeon and his team were extremely happy and said she was equal if not better than most of the patients they see at 6 weeks post op. This made her extremely proud of herself.
In the last week she has been for a push bike ride, a walk on the beach and is getting back into her driving lessons so she can get her p plates in March. Lot's of hours to catch up but she will get there.
I am very proud of my daughters acheivements as she is normally a real sook, so I prepared myself for the worst a hormonal, sooky, in pain 16 yr old could throw at me and was very pleasently surprised when she was only reduced to tears twice in hospital and once at home and we only had one day when she really got to me when nothing I did was right. In hospital she was actually more concerned about the others in her room than herself.
Her reduction was from 60 degrees down to 19 degrees and she gained about 3cm from the op and seems to be stretching out further as everything realigns, which she loves.
I think by the time School resumes she will be just about 100 percent back to normal but we will have to keep reminding her to be careful.
I hope this helps anyone about to undergo surgery, as it was the best way for me to feel better about it before hers.
Best of luck to all of you for the year. xx
Old 04-01-2014, 05:54 PM

Default Re: 10 weeks post op :)

That is brilliant news! Here's to an even better 2014!
We have our 12 month recheck soon and I am so impressed with my son and his attitude to recovery. The adversity really makes them mentally stronger I think.
Really glad to hear your good news.
Liz
Old 05-01-2014, 12:49 AM

That is a great story! My daughter has next appoint 30th Jan where Im pretty sure they'll suggest surgery (again!). She is almost 14 and like me she is starting to stress about it. I hope that if it goes ahead our story will b as good as yours, well done 😃
Old 08-01-2014, 03:46 PM

Great to hear she's had such a fabulous outcome. Isn't it nice to have it all behind you?

For anyone else whose child may have to face surgery, at almost seven months post my daughter's T4-L1 fusion she is now back to competitive swimming and almost back to her pre-surgery times. She learnt to surf over the Christmas break and will compete in a 2.5km open water swim in coming weeks. She tells me she feels 100% normal and I have (almost) stopped worrying about her!

Pre-surgery is a stressful time but post-surgery life can be wonderful.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:38 PM

Dear Shan,
It is so good to hear about your daughter. My daughter will be having surgery in March and we are trying not to think to much about it. We are looking forward to seeing her standing tall and strong, at the moment she looks like a frail old lady ( all bent and twisted).
Lee