Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 02-12-2009, 07:15 PM

Default Re: Info re surgery & beyond

Hi Judy, I just found your questions.

What usually happens in hospital? How soon do they get the patient up and walking? Usually on the second day the patient is taught to log-roll to the edge of the bed and sit up. Provided she's not too wobbly or faint, the Physios usually help her to her feet. If it's not to difficult a short few paces across the room then back into bed. Each day walking further is encouraged.
Is sitting usually for only very limited time? I found sitting the most uncomfortable position. Standing or lying was better. It was weeks before I sat for more than 10 minutes at a time. I spent some time lying on the sofa each day just to get out of my bedroom.
When the patient comes home....what is expected with their day to day activities? At first, not a lot. Walking is encouraged every day. Eat healthily, rest, sleep. Is it pretty much lying around most of the time for many weeks. There is a lot of lying around for many weeks! It sounds boring, but the time seems to go quickly because the drugs make you sleepy so you do sleep a lot, well I did. Often 8-10 hours at night then more during the day. Each day things get easier and easier. Soon you start doing things like peeling the vegies for dinner and trying to be useful but you need to take things slowly.
Are they able to move themselves around in bed a bit, like lying on their side, or is it just lying on the back for a long time? Yes, you can move around in the bed though it's difficult in the first couple of weeks. It seems to be most comfortable lying on the back and you get used to this.
Any useful hints to make things easier when they come home? It depends on the patient really. Lots of patients make use of shower chairs, toilet raisers, grabbers. I didn't need any of these things though now use a grabber because my knees are starting to object to all the squatting (which you do in place of bending at the waist.)

I hope I've answered your questions adequately.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:05 PM

Default Re: Thanks for surgery info

HI Jen,
Thanks for all of that. I guess over the last couple of weeks I've been getting more and more bits of information.
We bought a 2nd hand bed frame and have put it up in the rumpus room, so Lauren can rest out there and not be constantly in her room. I thought sitting might be a problem for quite a while.
Did you find that the painkillers you were given once you came home were strong enough to help with the pain. Hopefully the doctor prescribes something stronger than panadol!
Hell I hope this is the right thing to do for my darling daughter.
Thanks for your help.
Regards,
Judy
(2 days to go)
Old 08-12-2009, 06:33 AM

Default Re: Info re surgery & beyond

I always think if it's scary for a mature-aged patient, what must it be like for the teens and their parents. I think being the parent of a teen having to face this surgery, must be the most difficult thing.

Sorry I only just saw your post here today.

Judy, I was sent home on a lot of drugs. I was on Oxycontin 20 mg twice a day, Endone every four hours, and Panadol to take with the meds. Apparently the Panadol helps the meds to work in a slightly different way, or that's what I was told. So I did not feel a lot of pain! I was quite sleepy and slept a lot, it was just heavenly actually, after living a very busy life and never really having a holiday. I enjoyed those early weeks, no responsibility, drowsy and plenty of time to sleep.

But back to the drugs. First, I cut out the Endones, bit by bit, stretching out the dose-times to 6 hours then 8. At that stage, all was well. No pain. Then when I was only taking the Oxycontin twice a day, I started stretching out the dose-times again. I also got my GP to give me scripts for oxycontin 15 mg., 10 mg. and 5mg. This is how I got off the meds. But I have to say I became dependent on the oxycontin and for two weeks experienced withdrawals - tummy cramps, diahorrea (spelling?), dizziness and depression. At this point I felt I was never going to get off them. But I persevered with my plan and although the dizziness lingered for 7 weeks, I was drug-free by about 7-8 weeks, if my memory serves me correctly.

Few become dependent, so don't concern yourself too much, but it's important still, to withdraw from the Oxy very slowly. I still consider the withdrawals the worst part of the surgery.