Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 30-10-2012, 06:50 PM

Default 12 year old surgery

This is our description of how our 12 year old daughters surgery went. She was diagnosed at 12 years old with scolliosis and a curve of 45 degrees, it took about 10 months before she had surgery and the curve was about 60 degrees by then and she had developed a bad hump on her back (very noticeable). Without doubt the worst part of the whole saga was the waiting. She had f4 to l1 fused together with 2 rods ,one either side of the spine . It broke my heart seeing my daughter going under for the operation wondering if you have made the right decision, could she end up paralised etc,I am happy to say without a single doubt that we made the right decision. She was on morphine for the first few days,and then slowly weined of it and was walking 2 days after. we drove her home in our car (about 4 hour drive),on the 8th day with no problems. Without doubt she was sore but the medication sorted her out. ( do not be a hero, and keep up the meds,)within 5 and a half weeks she was back at school for 1 lesson per day, and maybe only 1 panadol for the whole day, six weeks 2 lessons per day,swimming , now it is 7 weeks, half a day at school no meds, swimming running, riding a bike,absolutely amazing.Her back is dead straight ( a bit of a curve on the x ray but certainly not noticable and the hump has gone) her posture is beautiful.Their is still a long way to go but we are definitely on the right track.So I hope this story eases your minds . We asked her if we went back in time would she do it again, and with no hesitation she answers yes.
Old 31-10-2012, 03:54 PM

Default Re: 12 year old surgery

Hi Joseph

It was so nice to read a positive story. My daughter is due to have surgery soon in Brisbane. She was diagnosed 4 mths ago and has a thoracic curve of 50 degrees which has changed quite rapidly. We are going through alot of mixed emotions right now! My biggest struggle is who is the best surgeon to do the procedure! Was your daughters surgery done in Brisbane? If so could you send me a private message as to who did the surgery? Thanks Cheryl
Old 07-11-2012, 06:45 PM

Hi Cheryl, I don't know how to post a private reply, Its now 7 and a half weeks and my daughter is at school full time . We just had our check up and the doctors are very happy but have asked that our daughter slows down a bit , absolutely no running or jumping to give the bone grafts more time to grow. She is really happy. Reply to this and tell me how to reply privately as I am more than happy to reply. I know all about the emotional roller coaster, but believe me the waiting and deciding is the worst part of the whole saga.Tell your daughter it is not as bad as she may imagine. Cheers
Old 08-11-2012, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Joseph, to send a private message just left click on the member's user name and you'll see a drop down menu. Click on the option to send a private message and a window will open for you to type your message. Then click Submit Message.

When you receive a private message you will be alerted to this just under your user name at the top right underneath the Scoliosis Australia banner.

Admin