Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adults > Non-surgical management

Old 21-09-2012, 04:09 PM

Default Re: how to manage pain from scoliosis

I was given Endep after my surgery, but only three doses. The morning after my surgery, I was awake at 5.30am and itching to get out of bed. The only problem was that the more I walked the halls and corridors, the more pain I was getting down the front of my leg. The Doc prescribed Endep and as I had heard of it before, I immediately said "but I'm not depressed"! He them proceeded to explain to me, that some medications can be used for other purposes. In this case, higher doses for depression etc but very useful in small doses for Neuro pain. After three doses (5mg) the pain went and I was able to walk without a limp. I took the medication home with me with instructions to use it if the pain came back again but to let the surgeon know as well. With regards to sleep, I think the Endone does a good job!
Old 01-10-2012, 05:43 PM

Unhappy Re: how to manage pain from scoliosis

Hi I'm new to this forum but my 16 year old daughter has a mild? form of double scoliosis, kyphosis and a compensating lordosis...
As of the past 3 months she has been in daily pain...panadol just doesn't ease it anymore...She also has problems with her shoulder and other joints...We have just discovered she also has spina bifida occulta...apparently the most mild form...her knee joints dislocated several times (she has had a patella stabalization on both knees) and now so do some of her fingers...We are on the waiting list for genetic testing for ehlers-danlos as this particular syndrome can also cause spinal malformations
As for pain relief? we are at a loss...next she wants to try hydrotherapy and just allow her spine to relax, even if it's just for half an hour...she has physio once a week to help her tight muscles relax as they are responding with muscle spasms in compensation...
regards
Old 09-10-2012, 02:39 PM

Hi curved, welcome to the forum. It sounds like your daughter has received a double whammy. I see there have been no replies - this would be because there may be nobody here who knows about ehlers-danlos syndrome. I am a member here: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/index.php and I have seen posts about ehler-danlos so you might try a search there to get some information. Also, you can post directly to Dr. Scoliosis (at the bottom of the home page) who may be able to throw some light on it for you. As for pain relief, try ibuprofen (Nurofen) which is an anti-inflammatory, and works i n a different way to Panadol. If she needs anything stronger, I think it's time to talk to your GP and see if she can get a referral to a good scoliosis surgeon. This doesn't necessarily mean she needs surgery, but a scoli surgeon should be able to offer some form of relief, whether it be pharmaceutical or physio or something different. Best of luck!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:29 PM

Check out posts on this page: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...ht=ehler+danos
Old 05-05-2013, 02:40 PM

Scroth method, best thing I've ever learnt and experienced in my life, physiotherapy and education to maintain, if not improve, scoliosis, kyphosis and lordosis:

See website: http://www.scoliosissos.com/

Read Erika Maude's inspirational story: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...ted-spine.html

Read about the history of Scroth method: http://www.scoliosisjournal.com/content/6/1/17

See medical proof that non-surgical method works: http://www.scoliosisjournal.com/content/3/1/20

Contact me for any more info
Old 05-05-2013, 05:15 PM

There is the Australian Pain Management Association with a website, and membership available. This is the link
http://www.painmanagement.org.au/
Old 16-11-2013, 07:04 PM

Smile Re: how to manage pain from scoliosis

Hello Curved.
New member here,and I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.I have kyphoscoliosis,hyperlordosis,winged scapula,a rotated pelvis and rib cage,all a result of the EDS.I was only diagnosed two years ago,at the age of 48,and I know this is an old thread,but I am wondering how your daughter is,and whether she has seen a Geneticist to be assessed for possible EDS or another genetic connective tissue disorder,as spinal deformities are common in alot of them.I understand the pain your daughter must be in,as I live with pain every day.If you need any information about the various types of Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome,I will be more than happy to answer any queries you or she might have.
Old 19-11-2013, 07:07 AM

Just a question does anyone have knee and foot pain flare up on you I've been having my right foot and knee sore to walk and touch I think it might be because I lean to the right because I'm lop sided I feel like I am always putting pressure on my right side.
Old 20-11-2013, 07:34 AM

Howdy

Yes my knee gave me curry before surgery. Much better now. It was like I was getting electric shocks in my knee, very painful at the time. I put it down to a nerve been squashed in my spine as the curve increased.
Rosie
Old 21-11-2013, 08:10 AM

I got a mri to see if I have nerve pain but they couldn't find anything wrong so I don't know it coild be because one leg is shorter then the other I'm not sure