Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 02-12-2012, 01:26 PM

Default 15 year old having surgery in may :/

Hi everyone, my name is Georgia and I am new to this forum I found out on recently that I will be needing surgery to correct my 68 degree curve. I am nervous about the surgery because I have been dancing since I was 4 and I am also a keen netballer and I really hope that I will be able to continue with these as soon as possible I am looking for advice on how to deal with the surgery and what to expect I will look forward to hearing from everyone
Old 02-12-2012, 06:41 PM

Default Re: 15 year old having surgery in may :/

Hi Georgia
Welcome.

I guess from now till surgery try to be fit, eat healthy, try not to carry to much weight and yep stay positive. I am sure as you heal you will regain your ability to dance and play sports but that will take a bit of time. I am alot older than you, actually ancient compared to you but it wasnt until about 10 months post surgery that I could actually start to break into a run. You have youth on your side. There are many people I am sure that can give you suggestions on this forum that are more your age. This is a great place to ask advice as people can understand what its like to wait for and go through surgery of this nature. Best Of Luck, Rosie
Old 02-12-2012, 08:46 PM

Hi Rosie and thanks for that advice, I am generally a fairly healthy person but I will make a bit more of an effort to get fit, I may be healthy but not that fit and I sure hope that youth does stay on my side and that I can start dancing as soon as I am ready after surgery. I am definitely hoping to find some people closer to my age and ask their advice, but it is more just learning about everything and talking to people who have been through the same thing
Old 03-12-2012, 12:13 AM

Hi Georgia,
I'm writing to tell you my daughter's story so that you can have a 15 year old example to follow. My daughter had t4-t12 fused on 28th June for a 63 degree right thoracic curve. She had an awesome surgeon, wonderful nurses and a fantastic correction down to 20 degrees. The week in hospital was pretty hard and the following week tough too but after that things get heaps better. Once you are off the strong medications it is easier. Since 5 weeks post surgery my daughter has not even had a panadol. She went back to school part time after 4 weeks and then built up to fulltime by 6 weeks. She starting swimming again gently at 3 months post surgery and at 5 months post surgery she is back on her bike (on a spin trainer), jogging 1.5 km and in full swimming training including tumble turns (just not butterfly yet). She hopes to do her first full triathlon in April and will ski in June next year. She wore a plastic brace for 12 weeks post surgery but not all surgeons advise this. She will happliy answer any questions you have ...she is just in bed early tonight because she starts work experience tomorrow. She caught up on her school work pretty quickly because she is at an awesome small school where they really look after the kids. She even still got Dux of Year 10.
Keep asking questions...it really helps to talk to people who have been through it.
All the best
Jane
Old 03-12-2012, 05:33 PM

Hi Jane, nice to see the experience from a teenagers perspective From other posts I have been reading it does sound like the first week is the toughest but I have a pretty experienced surgeon who is a master in the field. I am not a big swimmer but it sounds like I will be after the surgery since it seems to be the best thing for keeping fit during recovery. I am a dancer and it sounds like it will take me a while to get back into that. Tell your daughter good luck from me for her triathlon and skiing and that I hope it all goes well I will be wearing a brace for at least the first 6 weeks post op, but not sure what sort. I have always been a fairly academic student and hope to still keep my grades up while out of school. Did your daughter have school work to do at home?? And was there any teacher help, such as tutoring, since she was away from school for so long?? And also tell her a congratulation on getting dux
Hope her recovery keeps going well and all the best for her future
Georgia
Old 04-12-2012, 10:51 PM

Hi Georgia,
Yes swimming will be your sanity post op as it is the one sort of exercise that you are allowed to do before any others. My daughter did have some school work to do at home - her teachers supplied her with work to do once she was back at school part time. The hardest thing is that your sitting time is limited for the first 5 weeks or so . so it gets hard to write or use a computer. Unfortunately be prepared for things like catheters and enemas in the week in hospital which are not fun at all! Everyone has those ! My daughter did not have special teacher help at all but she is in small classes so was able to access help at school but not a tutor.
My daughter's surgery coincided with our holidays so she actually only had 4 total weeks off school.
I'll try to get her to private message you and she can tell you more.
Jane
Old 05-12-2012, 06:12 PM

Hi Jane,
It does sounds that swimming will be my savior, by the time I get back to my home town, I am travelling to Melbourne for the surgery, it will be heading into winter so I hope I can still visit the heated pool and that it won't be too busy since I get back just before the school holidays. When you say that sitting time is limited is that because of the pain?? Or just because it is uncomfortable?? My school has classes of between 20-25 kids but we are still a fairly small school so hopefully I will be able to catch up on all the required work My family and I think that I will be spending between 4-6 weeks off school since we are travelling to get the surgery but hopefully I will be back sooner rather than later. A private message would be great, hopefully so we can have a chat about the whole experience
Georgia