Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 11-07-2012, 08:54 PM

Default 3 Weeks Post Surgery

Hello Everyone,

Tomorrow is 3 weeks that my daughter Daniella had her scoliosis surgery. We ended up staying 12 days instead of 7 in hospital because she wasn't coping to well with the pain and that she had a really bad sharp pain on the right hand side of her back. It was a long and hard 12 days but glad we are now home. She is doing quite well but we are still having bad days. She got off one of her pain killers yesterday and is not liking it at all. The hardest thing at the moment is showering, this is proving to be quite a workout for me (at least i don't have to go to the gym). Lucky its school holidays and that she has her sisters home and lots of visits from school friends to keep her mind of things. As she was an elite basketballer she is now getting frustrated because she can't do anything. Its going to be a long 6 months without basketball but i'm sure will all be worth it in the end.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:23 PM

Default Re: 3 Weeks Post Surgery

Hi Pina,

It all takes time, and patience, with Daniella a must. My Em got to school state & NSW Country for swimming this year. It took about 8 months for her to get back where she was. But thats with Epillepsy medication also? Now shes powering on!! Aim for a year from now, and Daniella will be on fire on the basketball court. I know it seems too hard now, but D will bounce back amazing!! In 3 months try spin bike, swimming for fitness, and just shooting practice, with the wishes from your surgeon. Ours is pretty easy going, and says do anything you like? Except bungy-jumping, and behind our ski-boat!!

Happy to hear D improving. Its a hard haul in hospital, and this is not easy surgery.Glad I could keep in touch.

Tracy
Old 15-07-2012, 08:07 PM

Default Re: 3 Weeks Post Surgery

Hey Pina, Our daughter went back to netball, 6 months after surgery, this was little surgery, compared to D. She looked like a stiff surfboard, for about 6 weeks, till she got confidence back? Weve had falls on the court, taken skin off hip, shoulder, face!!! But this all builds charactor. Nothing has snapped yet? And our surgeon promotes sports. The first few games, I was a nervous wreck!! But its so good to see them do a team sport they enjoy. We have 2 straight rods, with big, strong pediscrews holding them in place. Our surgeon has said there is a risk of rods snapping, but he can fix this...so, I dont worry anymore? Let them enjoy it, once D is ready, she will know when shes ready!! Just enjoy!! These instrumentations are really strong!! Have faith!!

Keep smiling
Trace :-)