Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 12-05-2017, 03:21 PM

Default Severe Pain & Vomiting Following Surgery

Hello - my 14 year old daughter had a spinal fusion five days ago to correct a large curve of 86 degrees. Since then she has had severe pain to the point where she is almost screaming, nausea and chronic vomiting. Whenever she sits upright for a few minutes, she complains of pain and starts vomiting. She hasn't eaten since surgery and the staff here are talking of discharge. She can't move and is moving whenever she does move.

I'm guessing that this is not normal and I worried that surgery should not have been performed. Prior to surgery she had no pain or health problems, and now she seems unable to do anything at all without extreme pain and constant vomiting.

Has anyone else experienced vomiting after movement/pain? She's on medication for vomiting, but that doesn't seem to helping.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:06 PM

Default Re: Severe Pain & Vomiting Following Surgery

Oh I hope other parents hop on to give you advice.

Vomiting and huge amounts of pain are what I went through for the first four or five days. I had reactions to three painkillers until they gave me Oxycontin which was fine. The vomiting was awful.

As a concerned parent you have every right to ask a gazillion questions and hunt further for more advice if you are not satisfied everything is ok. The degree of curve would have required some pretty intensive corrective surgery so no wonder she is in lots of pain

Levels of pain vary, and I have to confess, I didn't expect so much pain - and I have a high threshold so it was a bit of an eye-opener. Everyone is different but you know your daughter better than anyone. It does get better

Hopefully the meds will be sorted out and her vomiting and pain abating before they discharge her.

Keep the communication open xxx and all the best to your daughter. What a champion for getting through xxx
Old 22-05-2017, 03:37 PM

Default Re: Severe Pain & Vomiting Following Surgery

Hi, I hope your daughter is doing well, did she get her pain under control?
My son is 4 days post surgery and struggling. He has been taken off his epidurals and the oral medication is just not touching the pain. I feel so helpless all I can do is move pillows and ice-pacs.

Kerry