Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 01-06-2015, 01:01 PM

Smile X-Ray Info

Hi everyone,

Wonderful to hear such positive amazing recoveries on here. Just some information that might be useful? Im not sure if it is common knowledge, but I was not aware of this till recently. In regards to x-rays...I've lost count how many we've had with Emily's 10 surgeries. At a guess more than 50 along with 3 MRIs and several fluoscopys. There's an x-ray machine called EOS that gives only 10 percent of radiation compared to a normal x-ray. Its only available in Sydney at 1 hospital (cant mention hospitals) but I spoke to the radiographer this morning, and there's another machine coming to Sydney and 2 coming to Melbourne. We are due for x-rays this month then again at the end of the year. 10 months post fusion and going fantastic! So for us it is worth the drive to Sydney from Newcastle. Just thought Ide share this information with you all. Best wishes.
Tracy
Old 01-06-2015, 02:06 PM

Smile Re: X-Ray Info

Forgot to mention the EOS is 3 dimensional x-ray. Nobel prize winning technology. Its at Killara. Cheers
Old 02-06-2015, 05:27 PM

Default Re: X-Ray Info

Hi Tracy,
Thanks for that information, you've raised an important issue that has also been on my mind. I am glad that other people are also worried about the effects of radiation from multiple XRays. Especially with young girls as they are maturing. It could be a risk to their fertility in the future.
My daughter had posterior fusion T4 to L3 6 months ago.
Every time that she has had to have an XRay I have asked the radiographer if she could wear a lead apron to protect her ovaries / uterus, but every time, they say that they cannot do that as it would block the view of the spine.
In actual fact, if you look at the anatomy, the ovaries and uterus actually sit quite low in the pelvis, such that, you could still use lead to cover them and then still get a good view of the spine right down to the sacrum. Maybe it is just an assumption that you can't get the full view of the spine if pelvic region is protected with lead apron, maybe there is no apron the right shape or size? At least they could test it out to see if a lead apron could be used and if you could still get a good view of the spine.
I think this is an issue that should be brought out a bit more, if the ovaries can be protected from multiple XRays, then we should be trying to do this if it is possible.
I think I'll send this message to Dr Scoliosis and see what he says.
Cheers,
Jan
Old 04-06-2015, 10:36 AM

Hi Jan and Tracy,

My first post on this forum! Thanks for raising the issue about multiple x-rays.
My daughter is 4 months post surgery and I too have been wondering about the number of x-rays that my daughter has had without the protective apron as well.

elsmum
Old 04-06-2015, 04:16 PM

Hi Jan & Elsmum,

Congrats on your first post Haha How is El going? Of course, like you ladies I have concerns about how many repeat x-rays our daughter has had. Most of ours have been without lead protection. The fluoroscopies and x-rays done whilst in theatre I didn't even know about till I got the accounts. Most have been done in Brisbane with no EOS machine. Its a shame every major city doesn't have one. It would be interesting to know if any studies have been done on how many x-rays are enough to cause damage? My theory is if we have to have more, then I choose to use the EOS Imager. These days our surgeon is happy for us to post the x-rays up to Brisbane. If you have the choice and its available then you have nothing to lose. I shall let you know if lead protection is used with our next x-ray. Cheers girls
Old 06-06-2015, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Tracy, thanks for raising the matter of x-ray exposure. Dr Scoliosis has given a comprehensive answer to Jan's question regarding this issue and we have added this to our FAQ page under 'What about X-ray exposure?' (towards the end of the list).
Old 07-06-2015, 10:50 AM

Smile Re: X-Ray Info

Wonderful! Thanks Dr S & Admin. Very well explained.