Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 02-04-2014, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Surgery set

I am so sorry to hear your daughter is having such a rough time of it. I can't offer any specific advice as my daughter had a relatively smooth few days post surgery. However, I am sure once she's up and about you will see a very rapid improvement. It's amazing to see them go from taking a few tentative steps, to walking down the street, to walking around the block. Once she is moving, make sure to get her out for a walk each day. We started with two, 10-minute walks each day and built up from there.
I hope the next few days bring some rapid improvement. My daughter and I leave for Sydney next weekend where she is competing in the national age swimming championships only 10 months after her fusion. There is a light!
Old 02-04-2014, 06:26 PM

Shan, that is wonderful news about your daughter. Leebri, stay strong and know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. It is so hard to see your own child in pain but they are far more resilient than we are. Once your daughter gets through this rough time and starts to feel stronger, I am sure she will recover speedily and before you know it, surgery will be a dim and distant memory. My son has just had his 6 month check, is back on his mountain bike and has just started hiking in preparation for climbing Mt Kinabalu, Borneo in July. Keep smiling and take the time to look after yourself as well as your daughter
Old 02-04-2014, 09:43 PM

Hi all, thank you everyone for your replies. Day 8 and we are still in hospital and have been told that we will be here for at least another 3 days. My daughter has had a much better day today, she had a nasal gastric tube put in and is now keeping everything down. I think the volume of oral meds was a major factor in her frequent vomiting but every thing has settled.
Her pain level is manageable however it is her legs ( quads) that seem to be giving her the most trouble. So a suggestion for Amber's mum would be to make sure that your child strengthens the muscles in the top of their legs before the surgery. My daughter finds the sitting in a chair the hardest thing to do, laying down or standing upright seem to be the most comfortable for her.
The great news is that we had our post-op X-ray today and the results are amazing. My daughter was at 81* before the surgery and now looks amazingly straight ( don't know the correction yet but it looks more than 60%). After seeing the X-ray I know that this has been well worth it. Seeing the before and then after x-rays was a real shock. I'd gotten use to her curve and had forgotten how bad it was.
Thanks again for all your replies. It is so good to hear all the success stories from families and I know that ours will be one too!
Old 06-04-2014, 08:26 PM

12days post-op and we are finally home. It is so much better at home and my daughter is much more content now. I have a question that no one seems to be able to answer. My daughter is bothered by a pain in her thigh. She tells me that it hurts all the time but it really hurts when she walks or sits. This is impacting on her recovery because she cannot walk very far without being in a lot of pain. Has this happened to anyone else? I am getting nowhere with this and am not sure what to do? Do I just give it a little longer or push a bit more for answers?
Old 06-04-2014, 11:56 PM

hi leebri, i can identify with what you are describing. I would have gone home on day 4 had this not come up. According to my surgeon, it was a nerve irritated by the surgery. he prescribed Endep for me. I only took it three times and the pain just went. Push for more answers. Best wishes RB
Old 08-04-2014, 07:26 PM

Thanks RB, it's good to hear that this pain has happened to someone else. We went to our local GP today and my daughter was crying and in pain. The GP was unsure about what to do and the surgeon has said to give it a week and call him if things are still the same. I suppose it may just be an adjustment period where my daughter has to get use to her new (and improved) posture.
Can anyone tell me about their pain relief? My daughter is 12 years old and I was told that she would only need panadol and nurefon and the occasional endone. What have others experience with this? She appear to have only a small amount of discomfort in her back with the most pain being in her leg.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:26 PM

HI Leebri
Are you able to touch base wtih your surgeon. Based on my experience only (i am no Doctor), I dont think you are allowed Nurofen as this is an anti inflammatory in the immediate post op period. Please check. Is there anyone else out there with experience in this matter. I cant remember at this point in time why, but even my current post op instructions state no aspirin etc. I also think that your surgeon can better advise you than your GP (no offence to the GP). Best wishes.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:39 PM

Hi Leebri, my son was on both tramadol and oxycontin for the first few weeks at home. His main pain was from his ribs following thoracoplasty rather than his spine. At first I was concerned that he was on the meds too long, but the surgeon assured us that he needed them and that my son would naturally reduce the dosage as he needed them less - which is what he did. While in hospital, he was also given nurofen and paracetamol when needed, but the nurofen caused him to vomit. Sorting out the meds is definitely a balancing act.
Old 17-04-2014, 07:41 PM

Smile Re: Surgery set

Hello Leebri, I sent you a private message
Old 19-04-2014, 08:34 PM

Robyn I have replied to your Pm.
Update on my daughter. She is now going into her 4th week (post op) and thing have improved dramatically. She is able to get in and out of bed independently, she can go to the bathroom on her own and she has been sleeping through the night for over a week now. She does not even need any pain relief at all now and hasn't needed any during the day for over a week? It almost seems like a distant nightmare now. Thank you to all the people who told me there was a light at the end of the tunnel. We are certainly there now!!