Thread: Genetics
View Single Post
Old 15-12-2011, 12:04 PM

Default Genetics

Hi dr,
I have known for a few years now that i have severe scoliosis which requires surgery. My son has cystic fibrosis and I recently did a google search for scoliosis and cystic fibrosis and found a report which shows evidence of a genetic link between the two. I am not educated in medical jargon and found myself lost, not understanding the report. I am wondering if you have any knowledge of the genetic link?
In scope, it seems to me that cystic fibrosis research has come such a long way compared with scoliosis research. So much more is known about the genetics.
At my son's CF Annual Review I noticed they checked for scoliosis, which led my thoughts back to this 'link' i know nothing about. I was worried if my son developed scoliosis, and needed a brace or surgery what effect this would have on his lung function. Have you heard of any person who suffers from both? It's an interesting topic for me. I will ask his CF team on his next check up what they know about it and post it here if it's worthwhile.
Look forward to your insight. Thanks a million.