View Single Post
Old 05-12-2012, 08:19 PM

Default 12 year old having surgery in Jan

I am Victorias Father and just wanted to share our experience with her scoliosis battle over the past 5 years. Victoria will be turning 13 in Jan 2013, she will spend her 13th Birthday in a Melbourne Hospital. We first picked up on her curve at the age of 9, after many X-rays etc she ended up in a Brace which was at least a start to controlling the curve which was at 37. Thoracic curve was starting to change rapidly. It did not seem fair but we did what was required, only to find out after 12 months that we did not have the brace tight enough. Surgery was offered at the time, but did not feel comfortable with that option at the time. We looked for alternative measures and tried an Osteopath which did help ease her pain, but after 2 years the curve had moved to 63 degrees which was now critical.Her shoulder blade was very noticeable and the spine was not going to get better over time so a Scoliosis surgeon was now our only option. She will be going in to hospital middle of Jan to have 2 day operation, 9 hours each day. Both my wife and I are constantly trying to stay positive and strong for Vic as it is such a huge operation. After reading other posts on here we do feel we are making the right decision. I really feel for others who are going through the same experience. It is comforting to know we have one of the best surgeons working on our Daughter. We have an anxious wait. Brett