View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 10:27 AM

Default breathing difficulties and scoliosis

Hi all, I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar and what they have done to manage/treat the issue....

Following a bad chest infection which I was continuously coughing and wheezing etc I've since cleared the infection with antibiotics etc but have been left with a difficulty to expand my lungs and find myself taking gasping shallow breaths periodically (about 2 - 3 mins apart).

I've had scoliosis pain and symptoms etc for about 10 years now and have been told nothing can be done blah blah by the gps. Noone has ever told me about this curve angle business, numerous x rays down the track and getting routinely stuck in bent forward positions with indescribable pain. Prescribed mobic and anti inflammatory meds but nothing else.

Prior to this difficulty breathing in, I had sharp pain on the left side of my pine when taking deep breaths. This has now become a dull pain coupled with shortness of breath on exertion, gasping and yawning periodically through the day, episodes of faintness and dizziness at rest, inability to walk up stairs without feeling breathless (prev. quite fit and active). I feel as though I cannot properly fill my lungs and have involuntary attempts at taking deep breaths that I cannot control, these happen at work all day. The difficulty breathing is worse when I lie on my back and after eating a big meal. I have had chest angios that have found no possible cause or obstruction to breathing and seen my gp who has referred me to a respiratory physician (appt not until june!), no mention of my scoliosis as a possible cause.

Can my scoliosis be affecting my lungs expanding and causing these symptoms? And more importantly, what do I do about it???? I don't want to feel this disabled forever!