View Single Post
Old 20-12-2011, 09:15 PM

Default Re: Countdown to surgery

Post surgery update...What an experience, great pre admission clinic. Hell time getting canulas and epidurals in (my beautiful boy didn't let me down and did all his fainting again!) three hours wait and then calmly in to theatre. His attitude amazed me once again. Anxious wait but only two hours this time - what a breeze compared to the spinal surgery wait!
A great result, surgeon said they had to do more work on his right side and they put two bars in his chest. Three days in ICU, epidural not working properly and difficulty breathing deeply enough because of that. Great care by the doctors and nurses there, then down to the ward for five days. What a shock that always is after the great care in ICU! Had a few disagreements about his treatment and pain management but we got there. Boy you have to be tough for your kids sometime. Like before hard getting Dom on his feet - a shower at last on day six then home day eight courtesy of Endone and sheer determination.
Been a bit of a shock since we got home, the kid who had only four panadol when we got home from the spinal surgery has had a medication regime of the alarm going off two hourly with a combination of Endone, Panadol, Nurofen, anti nausea wafers and two laxatives! Like having a new born again. Great attitude still and is now able to get himself out of bed and shower (with all the chest fractures he couldn't put any weight on his arms). Now we are working on getting him off the Endone in the next couple of days. He is great but looks a bit fragile so working on feeding him well and strengthening him again.
Looking forward then to a happy, healthy, surgery free 2012. Best wishes to all for a lovely Christmas and good 2012.
Annette