View Single Post
Old 14-05-2017, 11:05 PM

Default Leg weakness post surgery

Hi
This is the first time I have posted on this forum but it has been the source of much information over the past few years since my daughters scoliosis diagnosis.
After trying a brace for 12 months my daughters scoliosis rebounded and it was decided she would need surgery. She is 17yrs old now and had an anterior spinal fusion from T11 to L3 3 weeks ago. Postoperatively it was noted she had some numbness and weakness in her left leg (the side the surgical site is). We were initially told it may take some time to resolve but a week post surgery whilst she was still in hospital there was no improvement so the surgeon decided to take her back to surgery to explore and readjust the hardware. There wasn't any obvious reason for the weakness and no improvement after the second surgery.
The problem is in her hip flexor, she can walk but has a noticeable deficit and is unsteady.
She is now 2 weeks post second surgery and seeing a physio so far no improvement but both the surgeon and the physio said it could take 6 months or more to resolve.
I was just wondering if anyone on this forum has experienced this complication, how they managed it, if it resolved and if so how long did it take. My daughter had such high hopes for her life after surgery and now feels like her life is ruined. I'm trying to keep her positive and telling her to be patient.