View Single Post
Old 28-03-2016, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Looking for advice

Hi Bren
Like you, I sat in the shadows and read about all of the wonderful women on this forum for a couple of years before committing to surgery. I am 47 years old and had posterior surgery last November in Brisbane. I was fused from T2 to S1 and am in my 5th month of recovery. My lumbar curve had reached 65 degrees and was progressing, as was the rotation. I had shrunk 7 centimetres but like you hid it well, very few knew. I was very active physically so whilst pain was there and growing, I didn't allow it to curb much activity.
The surgery was extremely successful, my curve now being 14 degrees and I gained 4cm in height. I have no regrets whatsoever. It was a difficult journey and though I still have some pain, it is nothing panadol, a heat pack and rest won't relieve.
I think having an excellent surgeon I trusted in and wanting to be straight again helped me make the decision. I was tired of the struggle, worrying about curve deterioration, my growing hump and a distorted waist. I also worked very hard physically leading up to the operation to be in the best shape I could be in. Being an asthmatic I was terrified of being under for an 8 hour operation. I swam and did Pilates twice each per week. I think that has helped my recovery tremendously.

I hope this is of some help with your decision making. I struggled with it for so long and am so happy I went ahead.

Also, a big thank you to all the lovely ladies on this site for helping me get here too!

Sue