View Single Post
Old 02-12-2015, 12:48 AM

Default Re: Surgery on Friday, feeling anxious!

Hi Nat,
I have not been on forum for a very long time! You can look up my old posts to find out our story.
My son was also 15 when he had surgery. He is now 18 and just finished year 12 which is a big milestone. He missed first term of year 10 and much of second term as well. Despite this he has done really well in year 12 and likely to go onto uni next year.
The weeks leading up to surgery are terrible and I do feel for you. It really helps that your son wants to do it, I think it would be much harder with a younger child who may not understand totally what is happening.
Post op is hard, no denying that but it really is a step by step process that you just seem to get through.
I think it is important not to try and compare with other people, my son was unable to concentrate at school for a long time after but eventually came back to normal. He is not really sporty but enjoys frisbee, went on a camp for leavers and windsurfed for days. Your son will be able to go back to basketball eventually but best not to rush it!
Send me PM if you have any specific questions. I would love to talk further.
Will be thinking of you on Friday, all the best, Liz.