View Single Post
Old 11-07-2017, 07:35 PM

Default Re: Surgery -- where to start?

Hi Coco! Welcome to the forum! We all started here with pretty much the same question: where to start?

Well you've had a couple of replies already that highlight the issues with public. Long waiting list and the surgery can be cancelled literally on the same day. You could be preped to go in and they cancel it. Not that it happens often but it does... in the public system you always have emergencies who might require a theater or even the surgeon you are supposed to be seeing, so it happens.

However I'm very aware that private is not necessarily feasible for everyone. And most of the private surgeons also operate in public hospitals. Mine does, I'm from Melbourne too so I will pm you his name soon. So you are still going to get very capable surgeons in the public system as well. The other thing I think public does better sometimes is discharge planning. I've seen it a few times before (I work in the health area), patients that leave the hospital with better support in the public system than the private (by support I mean follow up with Physio, free hire of equipment for a few weeks post surgery etc).

You could also get a private cover and wait the 12 months. Just make sure your cover does include fusion/spinal surgery of course.

My curve was 68o I think... also S curve. Now it's still an S but 23 lower curve and 23 upper curve... so very well balanced

Yes, your comment about risks etc reminded me of myself when I started the process of deciding to have surgery or not. There are risks to every single medical procedure. The risks of major spinal injury for scoliosis surgery are not super high but still exist. What helped me to decide or, should I say, to be more comfortable about my decision were things like: trusting my surgeon (get recommendations, gut feeling, ask questions etc), my level of pain (it was high and getting worse and worse) and quality of life. So I decided to go ahead. But yes, there is always that risk. I would probably be feeling differently about this if something wrong had indeed happen. But it didn't this time.

I will pm you about my surgeon.

Meanwhile, feel free to read my posts! Click on my user name, I think it gives you the option of looking at posts written by me. I write a lot (I also talk a lot about this topic) and I did made the effort to write here after surgery because I felt so much better reading through the stories of others that I wanted to give something back as well.