Thread: Massage beds
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 09:40 AM

Default Re: Massage beds

Thank you for your further enquiry.

Passing rollers up and down the spine will not have any stretching effect apart from that which usually occurs with ordinary day-to-day movements. If the machine also generates infra-red rays, that will result in a degree of dilation of blood vessels but that, in itself, would not be expected to have any beneficial effect.

You mention that "it has been suggested to me that regular use could indeed improve the scoliosis over time". As I mentioned to you previously, any such statement needs to be accompanied by proof and the only acceptable proof is before and after x-rays taken in very carefully controlled ways. As far as I am aware there is no evidence that massage actually "softens the muscles of the spine and thereby re-educates the spine into a straighter position". Such a statement sounds like an unsubstantiated sales pitch.

On the other hand, as I also mentioned previously, patients with scoliosis who have soreness in the back often find that a massage is helpful. Such a massage does not alter the scoliosis and there is no scientific explanation why a massage is beneficial in some scoliotic patients and not in others. Certainly, a gentle massage can do no harm.

Dr Scoliosis