View Single Post
Old 16-04-2015, 08:49 PM

Default 7+ Years Post-op

Hi everyone,

I've been super keen to start a new thread in order to help anyone who needs it whether it be by answering questions or offering advice on surgery and/or bracing.

You will probably be happy to know that I am a 20 year old female who has been Scoliosis free (free from any progression!) since 2007 and is now a fully functional, non-impaired and happy individual. I'm new to the forum and my goal is to help people the same way other people helped me.

My pre-op story and spinal curvatures are detailed below.

I was diagnosed at 28 degrees in my thoracic spine when I was 7 years old after having chest x-rays for pneumonia. By the time I was 8, an old orthopaedic surgeon in WA (now retired) opted for me to go into a brace. My parents declined his early/harsh intervention.

From here I frequently had appointments with a new (and renowned) orthopaedic surgeon in WA (cannot name surgeon due to site regulations but please personal message me if you are interested). By the time I was 11 my curve had progressed to 50+ degrees in my thoracic spine and 20 degrees in my lumbar spine. I was put into a Boston brace almost immediately and wore this 22 hours a day which covered my whole torso from my chest to my bottom.

The brace was given to me in hope of slowing down my scoliosis before the surgery date, it was never intended as an alternative to surgery, although this did not go as planned. Even though I was extremely disciplined in wearing my brace (sometimes for more than 22 hours/day) my curve progressed to 68 degrees in the thoracic spine and 35 in the lumbar spine with spinal rotation (to put visually, I had a very very significant hump or "protruding" right rib-cage - and still do to this day). During brace treatment I received very intense physio/chiro 4 days per week and had a strict exercise program that I followed 7 days per week for a year which was VERY beneficial - I was originally supposed to be fused to L3 although the flexibility of my spine was remarkable and fusion occurred only to L2 (saving the fusion of 2 vertebrae is quite an achievement). I had my surgery in 2007 at 12 years of age and am now fused from T2-L2.

I do not regret surgery one bit. It was the best decision my parents ever made for me and if I was to make the choice myself, I would do the exact same!

Today I am a fully functional university student studying physiotherapy (funnily enough Scoliosis may have been one of the reasons I started studying PT).

I am happy to answer ANY questions you have regarding ANY part of your journey through scoliosis.

Naomi

Last edited by NaomiU; 16-04-2015 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Missing information