View Single Post
Old 23-05-2014, 06:53 PM

Default Re: Surgery booked January

Hi there,

We are in Adelaide, too. My daughter had surgery for an approx 70 degree curve in June last year. We're only a couple of weeks away from the 12 month anniversary. Time since then has absolutely flown.

She also had surgery at (name of hospital removed by admin) and possibly the same surgeon. She turned 13 two weeks before the surgery and was fused T4-L1. She also had compensatory curves in the lumbar spine and neck.

The surgery and recovery were MUCH easier than we anticipated. I was also upset at the initial news, but quickly decided we just had to get on with it. We also had about a six-month wait between hearing she needed the surgery and the actual operation.

You're welcome to PM me if you would like to chat. But just to reassure you, life after spinal fusion is fantastic for our daughter. She is a competitive swimmer and managed to qualify for the national championships only seven months after the operation. Just today, she has been named as part of the state swimming team to compete in Melbourne in July.

She competes in triathlons, runs cross country and enjoys a 100% normal life.

Her recovery was extremely fast. She felt so good, she ran the City to Bay three months after the surgery (she does NOT get the sporty genes from me!). Happy to answer any specific questions you might have.