View Single Post
Old 22-05-2014, 11:24 PM

Default Re: Surgery booked January

Hi DeeElle, As you may or may not be aware, I am in Adelaide as well. As I am slowly getting a support group going in Adelaide, I would be happy to offer you any support during this time of preparation and after Miss 11's surgery. Just let me know. I am happy that your surgeon is putting you in touch with another family. In the meantime, if you feel like a coffee and chat or to talk on the phone, just PM me and I will give you my contact details.
The idea of taking her to a dietitian is good. Weightloss during recovery can be in some cases a little extreme. It is not unheard of to lose upto 5kg or more. The reason being (as explained to me) is that the body is using all the calories to heal itself nad in a surgery like this, lots and lots of calories are burnt.With regards to the pain, tell her not to worry, it is painful but I found it more of a discomfort the first time. The Anaethetist usually does an amazing job keeping your pain under control and then it is upto her to push the pain button as she sees fit. The scarring these days is usually minimum. I had my cut sutured using glue both times. Even after this revision surgery, my line has already started to fade. People who have asked to see it, think its amazing how 'it's there, but it's not! One question i have for you. Is the Surgeon a Spinal Surgeon or an Orthopaedic Surgeon? Reason for question: research to add to my support group literature. Best wishes, RB