PDA

View Full Version : ThoracoLumbar Scoliosis & Gym

maykat
09-05-2015, 06:02 PM
Dr Scoliosis,

I have been diagnosed with Thoraco Lumbar Scoliosi (38^)s when I was 11 years old. I was advised to wear the boston brace until I was 17 (I think my xray showed that my growth spurt has finally stopped at the time). In my teenage years I was very actve I was part of the Basketall, Soccer and VolleyBall team without a problem.

Now I'm 28, and can feel minor back pains. And haven't really been as active as I was like in my teenage years. I've recently joined a gym as I read it will help to strengthen my core and back with proper training. My question is, is it safe to do weights? and up until what weight would be ideal to avoid further back injuries?

Dr Scoliosis
10-05-2015, 12:13 PM
Back pain is very common in the general population and almost universal in those with scoliosis. Itís usually felt as an ache at the end of the day and is better in the morning.

Core exercises and general fitness are good strategies to improve back pain. With scoliosis, the back is not weak, just bent. So, there are usually no limitations placed on the type of sport people wish to do. Gym work is fine. However, it is best to start with light weights/high repetition rather than heavy/low reps. Avoid dead lifts and bending forward with a straight back.

Lift with the hips and knees bent and the back vertical. A personal trainer would be able to give you guidance on the best and safest techniques.

Dr S