PDA

View Full Version : Scoliosis and Trochanteric Bursitis

lissa590
25-02-2015, 05:28 PM
I discovered I had a lumbar scoliosis upon collecting films and reports from a pelvic xray I had while investigating underlying causes of my chronic trochanteric bursitis. My doctor never informed me of this revelation, I only found out after reading the report. I have since seen an orthopaedic surgeon regarding the bursitis, and he too failed to mention the scoliosis. I had a pelvic xray in 2012 in which the scoliosis was not apparent. I am 32 years old and am suffering great pain from the 5 year long bursitis struggle. I am a secretary, which requires me being seated for 90% of the working day. None of my doctors seem interested in doing anything about it, but I am wondering, could the scoliosis be a factor in the failure to heal my bursitis? Is it the cause, or a result of the bursitis? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. The lack of information from my doctors is leaving my frightened and unsure of my future.

Dr Scoliosis
27-02-2015, 10:01 AM
Dear Lissa

Trochanteric bursitis is notoriously long lasting and difficult to treat. However, it generally settles down.

Your scoliosis is almost certainly not related to the bursitis. The scoliosis may be postural or structural. If it is postural, that is, there because of "posture" - pain, leg length difference or the like, it can come and go.

The way the X-ray is taken (lying down or standing up) will also influence the appearance of your spine. Often the X-ray report will not differentiate between a postural or structural curve. In addition, a pelvic X-ray wouldn’t generally show much of the lumbar spine, so its not possible to be sure if there was a curve present in 2012.

So, I wouldn’t be too concerned about the report - discussing the films with your doctor would be helpful. Get him or her to explain the two X-rays to you.

Dr S