View Full Version : Pain relief- Questions and my experience

24-07-2012, 10:25 PM
Once or twice each year, I get severe lower back pain, so hard to bear which requires me to stop running for a whole week for the pain and inflammation to settle down. It is always on the left side. I have a raised hard muscle (hump) on the left of my spine, which is always so painful when pain flares up.

What exercises would you recommend/avoid in this instance to help with the healing and prevent further episodes?

What could be contributing to this happening?

What treatment creams would you recommend to assist in the meantime?

Just to let others know who may be experiencing the same problems, that I have been going to the chiropractor every month, which has helped to give my spine a monthly adjustment, just to straighten things out, and prevent further progression of the spine.

Because after my last appointment, I was still in a lot of pain, I decided to book myself in for a remedial massage with a myotherapist, which probably was the best thing I could have done, as she also performed Bowen Therapy on me and it put my pelvis back in alignment with about 15 minutes of the treatment. I followed it up with no running, instead swimming. After one week, the pain had gone away. I was so relieved and thankful that I went to have that treatment done.

I will now incorporate remedial massage and Bowen Therapy with this myotherapist on about a monthly basis, as I now know this works for me. I should have really been incorporating remedial massages into my treatment plan much earlier, considering all the running I do.

Dr Scoliosis
25-07-2012, 05:54 PM
You describe a lump on the left side of your spine and this is almost certainly due to rotation of the spine such as occurs with scoliosis. Scoliosis is defined as a lateral rotatory deviation of the spine.

As regards your other questions, it is not possible, and neither would it be correct, to advise any form of management without a detailed history and physical examination together with the appropriate x-rays. From what you have said it would be appropriate for you to consult a spinal specialist and a list of accredited specialists who deal with spinal deformity (http://www.scoliosis-australia.org/scoliosis/scoliosis_specialists.html) is on our website.

Dr Scoliosis