PDA

View Full Version : Is there way to tell whether congenital?

picturesq
24-07-2012, 10:08 PM
Hi,

Just wondering if there is a way to tell whether one was born with the scoliosis, or acquired it over time?

Mine was undiagnosed throughout my teenage years, with me finding out in my early twenties.

The one thing I think could explain it, is a fall I had when I was about 13, rollerblading, where I fell on my coccyx bone, and it was very painful to walk afterwards for about one week. I was taken to the doctor, but no x-rays were done. Looking back, I now realise that my back pain started from around when I was 15.

Is it possible that this fall, could have caused my scoliosis, possibly through its the development over time?

Dr Scoliosis
25-07-2012, 05:49 PM
Yes, someone can be born with scoliosis when one or more of the vertebrae are malformed usually in a wedge shape and so the spine will be curved with the wedged vertebra at the apex.

When there is no congenital vertebral abnormality, which is the case in most instances of scoliosis, the curve may come on at an early age but most usually in the most common form of scoliosis namely, adolescent idiopathic scoliosis, the curve begins at or about the onset of the growth spurt which in girls occurs about 11 years of age.

It is not uncommon for minor curves to go undiscovered even into later life. From what you have said this may well have been what took place in you.

There is no evidence whatsoever that a fall, such as you describe, is linked in any way with the onset of scoliosis.

I trust this information is helpful.

Dr Scoliosis