PDA

View Full Version : running post surgury

maddie
29-05-2012, 10:10 PM
Hello,

I am booked in for surgery on the 12JUN12... and a bit scared. I'm 22, very active, and hoping not to take too much time out. I'm a very proactive person by nature, and would put in all the effort in the world to improve my recovery...I've asked a few questions on your forum, and a few patients have ruled out running... do you know of any permanent setbacks?

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards.

Maddie.

Dr Scoliosis
31-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Thank you for your enquiry.

The question you pose is a common one and most young people are anxious to know when they can return to physical activity after scoliosis surgery, which I presume you are to have.

Most spinal surgeons have a fixed routine and their secretaries are familiar with that because of the frequency of questioning by younger patients. Further, the Dr Scoliosis on duty had an absolutely rigid routine which made life easier for everyone and particularly parents of adolescent girls undergoing surgery.

Hence, your enquiry should be directed to your surgeon and you should set down the specific questions you wish to ask before you make the telephone call.

One word of warning about running and spinal problems generally. Running at slow speeds as against sprinting, and especially on hard surfaces, does produce impulse loading of the spine and this is best avoided.

I trust these comments are helpful.

Dr Scoliosis