PDA

View Full Version : is it genetic

tracy
25-03-2012, 12:51 AM
Hi Dr S,

Our daughter recently asked, what are the chances my kids will have scoliosis? I really dont have an answer for that,,,and wondering if you can explain? My nephew has Urea Cycle Disorder under a Proffessor working in Quensland. I would like an explaination for my daughter, and if these 2 things are genetically linked? From a parents prospective, it would be nice to know the odds also. Our nephew has aciduria lypasea argenine arsucutate Sorry for spelling? He was fully diolised at 3 days. At our hospital. With another genious speciallist. I know this is not your field, but wondering if there is any connection?

Thanks again
Tracy

tracy
25-03-2012, 01:08 AM
I believe correcy spelling is....arginineosucitate assidurius lypase... but dont quote me??????? Our nephew is 9 now. Needs kidney transplant.

tracy
25-03-2012, 01:14 AM
Its actually liver, that needs transplant, as its so enlarged and fatty, from 9 years of medication.

Dr Scoliosis
27-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Thank you for your recent post. I have looked over your earlier contributions and my responses.

There is no relation between scoliosis of the type your daughter has and the condition of your nephew.

Regarding the inheritance of scoliosis, at present it comes under the heading of multifactorial. There is a strong genetic background with the gene expression being strongest on the female side of the family in true idiopathic scoliosis. From our earlier exchanges it seems that your daughter comes under this category.

The most reputable data we have comes from the United Kingdom where it was shown that if a mother has idiopathic scoliosis then there is approximately a 27 per cent chance that a daughter of hers will have the condition. However, there is no clear data which indicates what the site of the curve or its severity will be.

The genetics of scoliosis is being actively pursued in many centres world-wide. You may be interested to know that we plan to put informative posts on this website about recent advances in the understanding of the causes of scoliosis and this will include the genetic aspects. The data relating to the genetics of idiopathic scoliosis in males does not permit any firm statement at this time.

I trust this information is helpful.

Dr Scoliosis

tracy
28-03-2012, 10:41 PM
Thankyou Dr S.

Its great to hear, they are doing research, and it will be avaliable to us. Thankyou for a clear answer, on what our daughters been asking. We dont come to this site, if our spines are straight, so, thanks once again for a clear answer. I really appreciate it.

Tracy