PDA

View Full Version : Where do I find information on stapling?

tracy
19-02-2012, 10:17 PM
Hi Dr S,

Our daughter has lengthening (4th surgery in 18 months) in April. Our surgeon is talking of fusion in Dec, at 12 yrs 1 mth. I know thats young, but our surgeon has said with staples from T5-T11 in front of spine, theres no chance of crankshaft. I would like to know, if theres any information on this, that I could read. Our surgeon is amazing!! But things are so busy at appointments, that you dont have time, or dont want to waste these amazing peoples time. I know we are not text book case and would like to know about how the whole stapling front of spine/fusion works? If theres any literature on it, could you please let me know, as this would help me to understand it all. Our daughter takes it all in her stride. An Amazing girl!

Thanks for your time
Tracy

Dr Scoliosis
21-02-2012, 02:58 PM
Thank you for your enquiry.

The following link has helpful information on the mechanism of the action of stapling. It is written by Dr Randy Betz, who is the developer of the staple and therefore the information is accurate.

http://www.spineuniverse.com/conditions/scoliosis/new-surgical-treatments-scoliosis-vertebral-body

Any further questions you have regarding this matter should be directed to and discussed with your daughter's surgeon.

I trust this information is helpful.

Dr Scoliosis

tracy
22-02-2012, 09:46 PM
Hi Dr S,

Thankyou for this information. It was most helpful, and will assist in the questions, I do need to ask at next visit. The more informed I understand, the less questions I need to ask. These staples will act in a simular way to anterior fusion.

Thanks again

Tracy