PDA

View Full Version : Infection after surgery

tracy
29-10-2011, 11:28 PM
Our daughter recently had 3rd surgery in 12 months with growing rods. All going well with curvature down from 59 degrees to about 30. Unfortunatately we have infection in one of the rods. I would like to ask, what are we looking at with pathology back soon? Do you get a definate answer with pathology? Or is infection something that can change, from surgery to surgery. I reolise this is probably not the normal question, but would like your opinion What infections should we be worried about?

Thanks Dr S

Tracy

Dr Scoliosis
01-11-2011, 12:44 PM
It is disappointing that an infection has taken place. Looking back over our correspondence this problem was discussed earlier on (http://www.scoliosis-australia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=195).

At this juncture a great deal will depend upon the clinical state of your daughter and the nature of the organism and its sensitivity to the various antibiotics against which it will be tested. There is no one single way in which this complication is managed and I am sure you will have informative discussions with the surgeon. More specifically, you ask "What infection should we be worried about?". It would not be very helpful for me to list all the possible bacteria which could be involved and you will shortly receive guidance from the surgeon.

I wish I could be more helpful on this occasion.

Dr Scoliosis

tracy
01-11-2011, 09:49 PM
Thanks so much Dr S, just looking for that magic wand. Wishing we could wave it.

Tracy

tracy
09-11-2011, 10:15 PM
Hi Dr S,

Patholgy tests came back all clear today. No growths.Yipee! As parents with no medical knowledge, its difficult to know what to expect? Thankyou for your clear answers.

Thanks
Tracy