PDA

View Full Version : Correction expectations

Christine
26-08-2011, 10:17 AM
Hi Doctor

I am now almost three months post-op and will see my surgeon next week. My spine was fused T4 - L1 with the idea my lumbar curve of 35 would correct itself. Is there a general time frame for this to happen? I gather that it is different for everyone.

Also, my rib hump and shoulder blade have virtually remained the same which I am getting very depressed about. It has just moved around to the side a bit and feels awful and keeps me very uncomfortable, not to mention the appearance is revolting. No ribs were removed, I don't know why as initially the surgeon told me he was going to...

My body is all wonky, my torso leans to my right and my arms sit at different spots away from my hips. Hard to explain.

Before I see him I would just like to see what your view is on this...

Many thanks,
Christine.

Dr Scoliosis
01-09-2011, 04:53 PM
Thank you for your enquiry.

Without examination both of yourself and your x-rays it is not possible to give you any precise answers but a few remarks along general lines are appropriate.

Presumably a curve from T4-L1 was the primary curve and the distal curve was compensatory. This will have been determined by side bending x-rays which presumably you had before your surgery. Your surgeon could show you the films. Compensatory curves tend to straighten out nearly completely on side bending and, depending on the result of the surgery, may resolve. There are no hard and fast rules in this regard.

One of the reasons you may think your rib prominence is "unchanged" is that you have possibly lost weight since your surgery and that will make the prominence more obvious. Conversely, if you put on weight the prominence will become less apparent. You should ask your surgeon to show you the before and after radiographs for comparison and explanation of what was achieved.

Apart from these statements I cannot offer any constructive advice. It is important that you make a list of your questions to take with you for your next consultation.

I trust these remarks are helpful.

Dr Scoliosis