View Full Version : A few questions

25-07-2011, 02:11 PM

I'm new. I'm 22, and I've just been diagnosed with scoliosis. I think I was born with it, as a teen I went to the doctors a couple of times a month, complaining of back pain. They always said I was too young, or seeking attention. I recently moved to the capitol city of Tasmania (Hobart), and mentioned my sore back to the doctor, who immediately ordered an x-ray.

The x-ray shows up that I have scoliosis. It also showed up sever arthritis all through my spine. I am wondering if this is a normal progression of untreated scoliosis?

It also showed some of my vertebrae are fused. Is this normal as well?

I also have deformity in my hip, where its on an angle, and my left ribs are shorter than my right ribs, and my shoulders are uneven. I'm just wondering how all these problems could be so unapparent to doctors when I complained as a teenager?

My doctor hasnt treated scoliosis before, so he referred me to a physiotherapist. Is this what I need to be doing. I'm just wondering if I will need to have surgery, or how they will treat it, as my current doctor does not have much experience in treating such sever arthritis in someone my age.

This all has me a bit worried. I just got fired because I can't work with a bad back. My degree I was half way through is useless (paramedics), and now I have no job either, and I don't understand why I am being sent to a physio instead of a scoliosis specialist.

Dr Scoliosis
27-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Thank you for your enquiry.

From the information you have provided it seems probable that you have a congenital scoliosis namely, you were born with it. This is in keeping with several vertebrae being joined to each other which is called a congenital fusion.

Other features you have reported are consistent with you having a scoliosis such as the uneven shoulder heights and so on.

Congenital scoliosis is not a heritable condition. However, it should be evaluated by a specialist and you should ask your general practitioner to refer you to a spinal specialist who deals in these matters. There is a directory of specialists (http://www.scoliosis-australia.org/scoliosis/scoliosis_specialists.html) on our website but unfortunately there is no recognised specialist in Tasmania.

There is a very high incidence of congenital abnormalities of the genitourinary tract in subjects with a congenital scoliosis. This is in the order of 25 per cent. Many of these are asymptomatic. All subjects with a congenital scoliosis should have an ultrasound of their kidneys as a routine investigation and that could be carried out in Tasmania. There is a reference for authoritative work carried out in Australia on this subject and you can pass this reference on to your family doctor and he/she will be able to obtain it via the internet or one of the local medical libraries.

Congenital abnormalities of the urogenital tract in association with congenital vertebral malformations.
Rai AS, Taylor TK, Smith GH, Cumming RG, Plunkett-Cole M.
J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2002 Aug;84(6):891-5.

We trust this information is helpful.

Dr Scoliosis

28-07-2011, 01:33 PM
Thank you for that! I wasnt sure what type of scoliosis I had. Is this one that usually gets worse with age? I'm just thinking that its so bad now, how bad will it be in 20 years time when I am 40.

This is why I am wondering if they will do surgery on me. I'm hoping my physio will be able to tell me that. I'm going to one who specialises in spinal conditions, and has dealt with scoliosis a fair bit. If need be, I can always fly to Melbourne or sydney to see a specialist.

I've just recently had my kidneys scanned after a misscarriage, and they found no abnormalities, but I will see if my GP will repeat that test and give him the article.

Thanks for your answers. :)