PDA

View Full Version : Surgery

My Hang
03-03-2011, 03:13 PM
I have just been told my daughter need surgery by the surgeon as her spine now sit around 51%. Want to know once the surgery is done and the weather change i.e winter or summer can she feel the pain as the rods will be in her back?

This is very new to us, I am very nervous and very worry for my daughter. My daughter she is very scare.
Once these rods go in they will stay there forever?

Dr Scoliosis
07-03-2011, 04:11 PM
Thank you for your enquiry.

May I refer you to the section on our website concerning the removal of rods following spinal surgery (http://www.scoliosis-australia.org/scoliosis/rod_removal.html). This should provide most of the answers you seek.

In general terms, patients who have had surgery for spinal curvature are totally unaware of the presence of the rods in the back and unless one of them is prominent (as described in the section of this website you have been referred to) no symptoms are experienced.

It is now some 50 plus years since rods have been used for the correction of spinal deformity and with no published evidence of long-term detrimental effects of the presence of the rods in themselves.

I trust this information is helpful