PDA

View Full Version : Which is the dominant side for a curve

Springy
09-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Hi all

If one has right convexity or in other words that is collapse / concavity on the left - which is the dominant / bossy / strong side?

Thanks,

Springy

Dr Scoliosis
13-12-2010, 07:04 PM
Thank you for your enquiry. I wish I could answer with the precision that you seek. I will attempt to explain.

Normally the thoracic spine, the most common site of a curvature, is slightly curved to give the normal thoracic kyphosis which is angulation in the sagittal plane.

In idiopathic scoliosis, the commonest type of curvature, because the spine is already curved when it bends sideways, or apparently so, it also rotates. You can do a simple experiment for yourself. Take a piece of wire, such as a coat hanger, and induce a gentle curve into it. Then try and bend it at right-angles to the curve and you will see that the wire spins. Also, in the thoracic region when the spine curves sideways and rotates it loses the normal kyphosis. Hence, the correct term is a lordoscoliosis. Lordosis describes the normal hollow in the lower part of the lumbar region which is the normal curvature in the opposite direction to a kyphosis.

There is no clear evidence that muscles on one side of a thoracic scoliosis are stronger than on the other side. The reason for this is that by the time a curve develops secondary changes are inevitable and it is impossible to distinguish between cause and effect.

At present it is reasonable to state that the weight of evidence suggests that a scoliosis develops as a result of neuromuscular dysfunction, the nature of the dysfunction being unknown. Hence, the term idiopathic.

I trust this explanation is helpful to you.

Dr Scoliosis

Springy
14-12-2010, 01:16 PM
Thank you for your time - a clear, intelligent, thoughtful reply