Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adults > Revision Surgery

Old 29-03-2014, 09:55 AM

Default Re: My rods are broken!!!!

Good luck on your surgery , will be thinking of you
Old 29-03-2014, 08:34 PM

Looking forward to hearing how you are. Thinking of you and wishing you all the best!
Old 30-03-2014, 11:26 AM

All the best for tomorrow, will be thinking of you.

Hoping to hear all is well soon, and that your hospital time is bearable

Lots of love xxx
Old 31-03-2014, 04:26 PM

Good luck with your surgery
Old 02-04-2014, 05:35 PM

Just read your post and you are most likely in hospital now, keep being brave and strong and you will soon have your life back. Take care our thoughts are with you.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:36 PM

HI all, I tried posting this morning, but somehow got timed out and then I was too tired to do it all again. Anyway, here I am at home. I came home this morning. My apologies to all the people who sent best wishes messages to me, but in my rush to plan for surgery just ran out of time to reply.

I had surgery on Monday 31.3. Surgery lasted 3 hours and then I was in recovery for another three hours. Doctor called my daughter to inform her that my surgery was finished but that I was in extreme pain due to the nature of surgery and therefore would not be back from recovery until pain was under control. My right side rod had 2 fractures instead of the one. One was seen on xray, the other was seen once op had started. I had to have a chevron osteotomy at L3/4 and all my hardware replaced. We had anticipated removing hardware and replacing with short rods, but this was not the case (sorry if this does not make sense, I am on Oxycodone at the moment!) I had to have the about the same length rods replaced, as the surgeon did not feel confident in leaving my spine without this hardware. (He felt, there was too much stress at this level). Try to popst a little later, feeling a klitle dizzy.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:33 AM

I am sure we on the forum have all been thinking of you and wondering how your going. I hope your pain gets better fast and healing is quick and event free. I do feel for you, having surgery once is certainly enough let alone having to go back. Best wishes
Rosie
Old 05-04-2014, 10:06 AM

Hi Rodverta it is so good to hear from you and it sounds like all went very well. You must feel somewhat reassured that you didn't have the shorter rods put in. I still can't figure out how they do it!

Rest up, lots of time later for posting. Take care, and welcome back
Old 05-04-2014, 03:20 PM

Welcome back Rodverta. I'm so sorry you had to go through this, but it's over now and as you know, you'll feel a little stronger and better, every day. Sleep as much as you can, walk a little, eat well and take care. I'm kind of glad they replaced the long rods as opposed to putting in small ones but as Christine says, how do they do it?!
Old 08-04-2014, 11:37 PM

Hi all, just reporting in to say recovery is going well. I managed to walk for about an hour yesterday and just as well as I could not go walking today due to the rain. Last night was my first night of interrupted sleep, dont know why, but I guess it may have been the change in the atmosphere.

I will report more on my op tomorrow. Its a bit late at the moment.

Jen, the Dr at the hospital said she needed to test me for inflammation markers, however, when I saw her write out the form, I realised she was testing for tumor markers. To top it off, the nurse collecting my blood said to me 'have you had cancer in the past?'

Hope everyone is feeling well. Keep warm and away from the flu bugs. Till next time.
Goodnite