Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Ask Dr Scoliosis > All questions for Dr Scoliosis

Old 21-01-2017, 08:38 PM

Exclamation Scoliosis and Respiration

Hi,

I had breathing troubles before my surgery and while it was temporarily better, its now 2 years post op and my breathing has gotten worse! My lung function is 33% and I am very small and skinny. I don't know how to improve this because my doctors said that I have normal oxygen saturation levels and nothing sinister can be heard when listening to my chest. Is there anything that I can do to improve my breathing so I am not gasping for a breath every second minute?!

Please help,
Jade
Old 29-01-2017, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Scoliosis and Respiration

Dear Jade,

Thanks for your question. The answer is not a simple one. Most people with scoliosis have no significant problems with breathing. Only curves that are very large (over 90 to 100 degrees) or those that developed as a small child have a noticeable effect on respiratory function.These types of curves can alter lung function in a few ways:

- reducing the chest volume
- making the ribs stiffer (reducing chest wall movement)
- shortening the height of the thoracic spine
- increasing blood pressure in the the lungs.

Various tests can be done to check lung function. A normal oxygen saturation level can be present despite abnormal lung function.

What can be done about your breathing depends on what the cause is. So, the best approach would be to speak to your GP and ask for a referral to a respiratory physician. More advanced tests can be done then to determine the causes of your breathing problem and the best way to treat it.

Dr S