Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adults > Revision Surgery

Old 14-04-2015, 07:56 PM

Unhappy Broken Rod

Hi all, just thought I'd update you on my progress. It's nearly 2 years since my revision surgery, and at the last checkup, we discovered a broken rod. I am astonished that these rods break so easily, but have read about several others dealing with this. I am at a bit of a loss what to do. Obviously not keen on further surgery, but new pain which I believe occurred as a result of the break has made life difficult and sleep almost impossible. Does anyone know how successful further surgery to repair broken rods is?? My main issue is the pain I am having in the sacro area, as well as referred pain in the groin and down the leg. This is particularly bad at night and lack of sleep is driving me mad. Any words of wisdom??
Kelly
Old 19-04-2015, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Broken Rod

Hi Kelly, if you are having pain the SI area, does this indicate that the broken rod is at L3/4? Can you advise. Trying to understand this more. My first surgery, I had 6mm rods and screws. After my breakages, I now have 8mm hardware. I understand at being astonished as to how easy they break. I live my life as normal as I can but I dont think that a day goes by when I think, 'what the hell are they going to do if they break again?' When my rods broke, I had extreme pain in the SI area, down both hips and right leg. My physio at the time (because we did not know it was broken - the break was behind a screw and could not be seen on film!) gave me an si joint belt to wear, but for obviouis reasons this did not help. I was taking two Endone and 2 Panadol Osteo and sleeping as flat as I could with no pillows at all. However any slight movement caused me to scream the place down. I am sure the patients in the waiting room (when having my nuclear bone scan done to identiofy the problem) though I was being murdered due to the screams of pain when trying to get off the bed!

What does your Surgeon say. Is he adapting a 'wait and see' approach or does he want to get back in there to fix it? The problem is tht they dont repair the rod - it has to come out and be replaced. I was quite hoping that they would just get a soldering iron and melt it back together again!

Kelly, I do hope that you get some answers real fast. I can honestly say that ' i know what you are going through and i do sympathise with you'. Take care and let us know how you get on, Best Wishes, RB
Old 20-04-2015, 05:32 PM

Default Re: Broken Rod

Hi RB,

The break in the rod is just below my new fusion at L4-L5. It is close to a join or whatever it is, where the screws then go into the spine. I actually feel like there may have been more break(s) at the moment, or else I am extremely paranoid, as the pain and discomfort has changed/increased. I find that laying on my side is causing the most pain in the SIJ and down the outside of my legs, and therefore end up attempting to sleep flat on my back which just doesn't feel right as I haven't slept on my back for eternity! I get some sleep only when I take a sleeping tablet, and I really don't want to be too dependent on that, but you have to do what you have to do I suppose! The surgeon seems to be adopting the wait and see approach, but I am getting another opinion, but can't see the surgeon till the end of May! It's going to be the longest wait for me. I am very scared where this is heading.
Cheers, Kelly