Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Introductions > Meeting place

Old 11-11-2009, 02:45 PM

Hi all,

I have just joined this forum and wanted to introduce myself. I am 26 years old and underwent a spinal fusion for scoliosis in May 2008. The surgery was sucessful in correcting my 46 degree curve to 5 degrees, however it is now 18 months later and I am still in much pain. My surgeon took the anterior approach and as part of this removed 2 of my ribs. I was wondering is anyone else had rib removal as part of their surgery and what pain was experienced afterwards, for how long and did you find anything that helped? Any experiences you can share post surgery would be helpful.
Thanks
Old 11-11-2009, 03:02 PM

Hi Bonnie. Is it rib pain you're experiencing or back/leg? If it is rib, then although I didn't have ribs removed, I've read that the pain of rib removal can continue for a long time after surgery.

I hope someone who's had ribs removed, reads your post and can offer you some advice from first hand experience.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:15 PM

Thanks Jen. Yes it is rib pain- or at least pain where my rib used to be!
Old 13-11-2009, 01:00 PM

I sent you a PM Bonnie.
Old 15-11-2009, 10:28 AM

Well here we are with our own Scoliosis Forum. To introduce myself though one or two already know me I am 58 and in 1966 I had harrington rods placed near my spine and have been fused from T4 to L3. I think I was around the eighth person to be operated on in Australia and of course it was successful I still have a bit of a hump but all in all I have led a perfectly normal life.No problems with pregnancies and so on, worked all my life.
That is until 1997 and things have been a bit painful since then due to the rods still being there and whatever else if going on back there. So I am in quite a lot of pain. Would I change anything, definately not. I am so lucky that I was able to be fixed shall we say at the age of 14.
I think this forum will be a definate asset to all of us, and thankyou for starting it.

Lorraine. (Macky)
Old 07-12-2009, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Meet and Greet

Hi all,

I had my surgery a week after my 21st birthday in 2005. I chose to wait after my growth finished to complete my tertiary studies and also the pain was not significant in my early teens. The pain is gone but occasional discomfort is part of it life I guess.

I have T4-T12 fused (posterior) to correct the 58 to about 25 degrees. The bottom curve sorted itself out somewhat but it was significant and a second fusion was likely at first. I was lucky to have not needed any hip/rib bone and the vertebrae bones were used.

My recovery wasn't all that fast but was smooth. I was fatigued for years and only recently was diagnosed as iron deficient. It is possible this occurred after the surgery as my blood was never tested afterwards.

Look forward to speaking to all of you.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:58 PM

Hi Godiva,
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like all went well wth your recovery. If I may ask, at what stage of recovery did you feel like as if you never had the surgery? One year.....Two years..........
I myself had a smooth recovery, but as you may note on another thread, i have become very tired lately, don't know if i am doing too much too soon or what. I do pack a lot into my day. Looking forward to some further chats.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:20 AM

Welcome Godiva.

Rodverta (I can't type that without a grin on my face!) I am wondering if you had a blood test - Godiva put the thought in my head that perhaps you're iron deficient?

It's probably nothing, just over-doing things, more likely. You're still only half way through your recovery and every recovery is different.

Hope you feel better very soon.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:58 AM

Good thinking 99 (Jen). I am due for bloods to be done to check my thyroid, so may ask for full bloodwork, to see if anything is amiss. Thanks.
Old 25-02-2010, 10:47 AM

hi everyone,
im new to this forum and its great to be able to talk to others who understand and live with scoliosis . im 39 yrs old and scheduled to have my surgery in 3 weeks .My curve is at 60 degrees and i suffer heaps of back pain daily. Im quite anxious but feel ready mentally although worry more about how my family are going to cope. Just wondering about recovering and then how you cope with day to day activities. thanks